Mystery parts - please enlighten me!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a box of what I was told were " crank guards" from bicycles...I've never seen such things (I'm a noob!) ; what are these? Do they even go on bikes? They look like mini hubcaps, and have all sorts of different bolt patterns...

apparently I can't post pictures on an iPhone. Any ideas? Guesses? They're about 8" across, and very thin.

I had the same problem with my iPhone! Just go to the app store and get the free photobucket app. It works so easy!
As for the crank gaurds, I don't know. Sounds like maybe a muscle bike thing?

The crank guards i know of from the 70s looked like hubcaps, they just kept your pant leg from getting caught in the crank sprocket, maybe youve got some for 10 speed bikes since they have bolt patterns, or meybe they are just spoke protectors. a pic would help id them for sure though

like this?

IMG_0682.jpg

chainguard, but just for the sprocket.
this came off a early 70's motocross type bike
IMG_1167-1.jpg

the bottom one is a spoke protector for a rear wheel, the other two act like chainguards and mount to the crank sprockets like on old 10 speeds, they still put them on bikes today but theyre usually plastic now.

I had a Rock Ring on my first "real" mountain bike, that thing was the bomb, it could take a beating and the chainrings were always safe, like having a 3rd wheel in the middle for climbing over logs and rocks... what you have is not that, but they all have their place.

Back