mysterious cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151001_145854_zpstnrzgupf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Need help. It says custom deluxe on the guard. No idea of maker. Any ideas?

The fork is definitely murray. The problem is murray built bikes for so many different other bike companies. Western Flyer, AMF, Sears, Gimbles, Gambles and a ton more. I'm afraid all I can do is verify murray built the fork.

the head badge was rivetednot a sticker and by the looks of the sun fade it was a longer rectangle badge

Ross used the name Custom deluxe for years, and that chain guard looks very similar to their styles. All the old Ross Custom Deluxes I've seen have a different style frame and chain ring, although the patina on yours matches up. The frame sure looks like Murray though. The rims match so they may be original. Maybe the guard isn't the original though. A closeup of the dropouts may shed some light on the manufacturer, they all have unique dropout designs. The original color will show if you take the forks off, on the inside tube the paint is usually like new. And on the frame, if you pull the cranks, there may be some of the original color on the inside of the BB shell. That will verify that the forks are the original also.

But nevertheless, it's a 50's bike that looks to be in good shape. A nice find!

Yup definitely Murry built frame. The knuckle bulge joint at the seat tube and top tube are sure signs.

Looks like the rear wheel is a front load from the bottom as opposed to the earlier rear load dropouts. That frame was used from around 1946 into the mid? 50's. Not sure when they stopped that frame style.

My 46 has rear entry dropouts, my 47's are identical other than front entry dropouts.

That front sprocket is not a Higgins nor is that chainguard. Most Murrays tend to be Higgins since they were the most common. Not sure what other badges that frame came under though.

Its been decided shes a mutt. Its getting a face lift as we speak. Lots of parts ordered

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Make sure you post up a build thread when you get going on it, would love to see more!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back