My wifes bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this bike for my wife for a Mothers day present in 2006. I bought it at an automitive swap meet along with the jchiggins in the background. I think I paid $20 for the schwinn and $10 for the higgins. I stripped it down the day after I got it home and sent the frame out for powdercoating. I also bought a reproduction phantom rack for the back with a taillight and sent that out for powder too. I kept the taillight home and painted it pink along with the tank and chainguard.

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

I bought new Wald fenders for it from Debbie at bike world along with the tires, Electra seat and grips, heart shape chainring. I also had to buy a reproduction horn because the original one was shot. I ended up buying a $99 bike from Wal-Mart and used the wheels with 3 speed hub, shifter, handlebars and neck, crank, pedals and bearings, and the chain. The only thing not used from the wal-mart bike is the frame and chainring. I used the seat on another project!

Here's a picture of the bike when I got it back from the powder shop.
DebutanteFreshPaint.jpg

The finished bike
IMG_0154-1.jpg

She loves it White Trash. The pink paint doesn't exactly match the tires but I got tired of adding white, then red, then white again........ LocoJoe, that's exactly what I was going for with the mix. Kind of a resto-mod if you will. Thanks for the compliments!

The hub came off of the Wal-Mart bike. I just took the wheels off, changed tires and put them on the schwinn. It works without any problems at all.

Let's see the pic bicyclerick! (I'm a poet and didn't know it!)

I guess I should have actually read your notes...ha ha.

Have you ever ridden a bike with a Nexus hub? Just curious how they compare.

This bike is VERY nice John...had to move it to the Gallery. :mrgreen:

Thanks for moving it Steve, I'm honored! I have not ridden a bike with a nexus hub yet but can't wait to get mine. I ordered one a couple of months ago with a set of wheels from bikeworldusa but Debbie is having a very difficult time finding iit. I ordered an 8 speed with roller brake which will be going on my columbia project.

Wow...an 8 speed!

I talked to a guy recently who sells bikes and he said that the 7 speed hubs were scarce right now and that made the 3 speeds like gold too.

I have a Nexus 4 with a roller brake on my Marin Stinson and I LOVE IT!

Latest posts

Back