my suegra's trike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reworking my mother-in-law's tricycle. It's been interesting to say the least. Turns out that her seat post tube is 1" in diameter. The seat post is 7/8" all the way. YIKES!! I probably should not have thrown that away two years ago. The newer ones taper to 7/8". Plus it uses a detachable seat clamp. So anyway, I will take pics of it when it is done. There were several layers of paint from before and it looked like a hot mess. Now it has that dupli-color metal flake on a black base. The rims are going to be painted to match the front wheel and I think I am going to paint the back section with that chrome paint. It should look have a brushed finish when it's done.

BTW Rene at Longhorn bikes in Austin is freaking awesome if he does not have it in stock (which is not often), he can have it in a week. He is most definitely Rat bike friendly.

handle bars are 7/8's wink wink nudge nudge. :D

Here are some pics. She is done, except for find a place to anchor the torque arm.

4529135097_c005efcf47_b.jpg

4529132891_4bb90c6298_b.jpg

4529131885_4c7e8a77d8_b.jpg

I used "chrome" paint on the rear section and back wheels. I don't recommend it. It doesn't seem to cure correctly. I figure it's gotta stay a little soft so it'll stay shiny. I rode it around a bit and it rolls pretty good. I got a smaller front sprocket and it makes it roll alot easier too. The paint is the Dupli Color metal flake on a black low gloss base. It came out looking like a Dr. Pepper red color.

Very sweet trike!Im wanting to build a trike myself. Id like mine to be gas powered, but im not sure if its possible! Veryy cool bike man!

Thanks Shaggyevil. I rigged an anchor for the torque arm today. Now it stops. At first I didn't really like the way it rode, but after tooling around on it a bit more, it's pretty fun to ride.

Back