My Stretch Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a stretch frame 1.5 years ago, and built it up from scratch. My goal was to make it a trike. I picked up an old schwinn trike axle last summer for $100 (if anyone wants it, for sale $75, you ship or local pick up, SOLD). I took the hub to THE shop here in sac (College Cyclery) for an overhaul. Part of my fender supports broke on my last ride to Concert in the Park. So now I am prompted to revitalize the trike idea. I took the axle to College Cyclery today, where Karfer67 told me it would be more work than it's worth (I don't have a garage or any tools to fabricate). I wanted a 3 speed (and the rear wheel I have squeals bad when stopping). I ordered a trike axle from choppers US and some 24 inch 72 spoke wheels. Then I got some 24 x 3 inch white wall tires and another set of street sweeper fenders from Nirve. If it all goes well I should have the bike running in its new form next week sometime. In the meantime I will take off the rear fender so I can ride.

was wondering what you were up to, didn't hear back from you, hope that you win on the project, if you need help, let me know, :)

nice. I'd love to build a stretch into a trike, but I've done the math and it adds up fast.

The big brown truck came yesterday! All my new parts are here, woot!! Got it painted and the trike itself assembled. I am waiting on my Shimano 3 speed click shifter to come. I will be riding down to ace today to get hardware to mount my basket, and then maybe my to mount my fenders. I got 24x3" whitewalls from nirve and another set of streetsweeper fenders. I got 24" 72 spoke wheels to match my front 26 in 72 spoke that I had. I also got a basket.
I went with the heavy duty trike axle from choppers US so I could get rid of my cheap squeaky coaster brake wheel I had, and go with a 3 speed. The nexus hub kinda rattles and clunks. I dunno. maybe it's the weight.
Now I just need to figure out how to post pictures!

hey thats cool you found the site good to have another local builder here. well frank has a really good set of tools, he can fix anything even that rear end. good luck

yes, I got to see it last night, was looking good there, :) should look even better when done, hope to see it Saturday on the ride,and Karfer is close by you there, he is good, sure he will be glad to help too, :)

The nexus hub kinda rattles and clunks

If it is a used 3 speed nexus I have found the clunk is caused by the three small ears on the rear sprocket getting worn and the slack causes a clunk. You might check. Take that c ring off and see how much slack you have.

it is more of a squeal and shudder when braking if that makes any sense. This is a new hub. I don't know, cuz my old cheapo wheel had the same issues....

Back