My rusty rat rod cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hannesito said:
Buck Masterson said:
That is AWESOME! I'm not always a fan of the all rust look but on this build it's perfect! Did you clear coat it at all?

Great you like my build!

I coated the rusty surface only with cooked linseed oil. After a while the oil hardens completely and protects the surface. This method is also used to keep the patina of oldtimers, old machines, fences, weapons... in 18th and 19th century it was the basis of any paint. I think on rust it works and looks better than normal clear coat. The bike was mostly outside for one year now, in wet condition, and I could not see any changes on the surface. But the frame is made from quite thick consruction steel, so I don't worry much about it anyway.

"cooked linseed oil"?? did you cook it if so how much at what temp. etc.,or can you buy it that way :shock: :?: I really like you're bike and i'm interested in the finish. 8)

"cooked linseed oil"?? did you cook it if so how much at what temp. etc.,or can you buy it that way :shock: :?: I really like you're bike and i'm interested in the finish. 8)

I bought it this way. If you buy industrial linseed oil, not for eating, it is normally cooked and has some additions to make it dry better.

I agree...very nice indeed. That sure has the look!

What kind of cranks are those?

Back