My new yard sale kludge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thing while Yard Sailing (Sale-ing) today. I immediately thought it was a Raleigh Sports, but closer inspection reveals it is a Hercules with some random Schwinn stuff thrown on (??). I dunno... I took it home anyways. :roll:

Frame/fork- Hercules branded. Nottingham England.
Stem- Raleigh type but no markings.
Bars- Raleigh type.
Grips- one is Schwinn, and the other is a three speed grip shift for the SA hub.
Fenders- Definitely Raleigh types, but again no markings.
Crank set- Looks like the earlier Schwinn type.
Seat- Beats me.
Brakes- Schwinn approved.
Pedals- blocks have no reflectors, and no marks.
Front wheel- Schwinn type with center knurling. "Schwinn approved" hub.
Rear wheel. Sturmey Archer AW hub. 3 speed. 1965. Rim is marked "Made in England".

It's gotta punk look. I threw on some busted jeans, put my hat on backwards, and cruised it around the neighborhood.

Mike.

IMG_1797.jpg

Nice..find and its a Mans model...Hard to find around here..LOL

that was a bike i always wanted back in 69 or so - we called them an english racer. only the lucky had them . . .

I'd say it's og aside from the Schwinn parts, and maybe the chainguard. I think most of those English bike makers got their components from the same supplier, they all seem very similar.-Adam

Somebody striped those brakes of a Schwinn and put them on there. The stock cables on the bike are grooved..not smooth like a schwinn.. :lol: I guess you could call it an up grade..lol

More research suggests this bike is mostly original, which is surprising (to me at least). Once its own entity, Hercules went through a few owners, but by the time they were made in Nottingham, Raleigh had ownership. I guess that explains the Raleigh parts, but it seems they reserved parts branding for Raleigh badged bikes only. I think someone stuck a Schwinn front wheel (and grip) on it out of necessity. I still don't understand the Schwinn brakes, though.

In comparison, my Raleigh sports model doesn't seem to have as nice a frame. This Hercules seems more rugged by comparison, though it lacks a lot of the Sports models braze ons. Even the forks seem more substantial on the Hercules. If I were building a bike from scratch, I'd favor the Herc' for sure and leave the Raleighs to the restos. The fenders are identical. I have a good mind to rat this bike out for a down and dirty commuter. I have some rusty chrome fenders from and old Ross that would look killer on this bike. I also have an all black Messinger spring seat that would rock. Some old school MTB bars, and some beefier meats would make it look a bit more sinister.

nice find and thanks for the pics. from where I come from this will be the one restored :lol:

are those the original chainring? interesting headbadge - US version?

Latest posts

Back