My New Schwinn Swindler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I haven't posted in forever. Some stuff came up and work was killing me. Finally had a couple weeks to settle down. I was at Wally-World today and came across this. Its a Schwinn Swindler 27.5" with a springer fork. I've been meaning to get a bike since I signed up here a while back and when I saw this I fell in love. I took it to the checkout and took it home.

IFo3YQU.jpg

Once home I noticed the teeth on the handle bars are almost non existent, like they've been flipping around. I was able to tighten them down but they still break loose. Might call Schwinn or take it back to WW for an exchange. After getting the bars tightened i rode it around the neighborhood to see how everything felt. The rear hub probably needs a ton more grease but the coaster break works pretty good with my 215lb butt on it.

Thought I'd share and see if anyone else has our Sen one of these yet?
Purchased my "Schwindler" not so long ago. I've upgraded a few parts since then. Trying to figure out how to post a picture

I have one of these Swindlers too. A few months back,I went with my 12 y.o. son to get him a cheap mountain bike for school and they had these, so we came home with two bikes. Now he wants to get rid of his bike and use the Swindler instead!

I saw these yesterday, they weren't priced. I looked online and they were $139.97. It seems to me they have "Build Off Bike" written all over them since they will need rebuilding any way. They do look kind of cool as is except for the paint choice.
Maybe even their own build off competition. It might be interesting to see all the variations that ratters could come up with using the frame, fork and some of the parts.

I would love to do something like this, unfortunately my crowded apartment and family would rule it out!

I just bought the Swindler 2 weeks ago $152 total w/shipping (wish I got that $99 deal)and when I was putting it together the handle bars were locked in a downward position and the bolt was stripped, so I contacted the company and after a few emails they sent me a replacement handle bar and stem (which I thought was a nice thing I was just expecting a new bolt),one thing I did notice is that the handle bars were lose even after tightening it which ended up slightly rounding out the bolt. I was going to go to home depot to get a replacement.
A few things cross my mind while I was waiting for the replacement should I go and get a new handle bar/stem set. 1, just hope a new and better bolt does the trick or 2, get some shims and see if that helps.
beast_zpsbt6kxwry.jpg

Got my "schwinndler" on Sunday at a rural Walmart on clearance for $79.99. Awesome deal! Yes the handlebars slip, but i may try deepening the ridges as they seem like tiny scratches. What a comfortable ride.

Here's mine. I bought it last fall, did a few modifications and have ridden the bejeepers out of it since. It has been officially dubbed The Codger.

Attachments

• The Codger 4-23-16.jpg
    The Codger 4-23-16.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 603
If your seatpost is what is loose and you can't get the clamp to tighten enough you can do a quick fix with a aluminium can. Use some tin snips, or something similar, and cut one or two rectangular strips from the cans body. The wrap them around your post. It's a bit tricky to get the aluminum can shims in between the post and post tube with it at the correct ride height for you. Using a marker to mark the correct insert of the seatpost for your ride height first will help a bunch. These cheesy aluminium can shims will work in many cases for loose handle bars as well.
....and it's a bonus to drink your favorite beverage before using the can shim doohickey method......ahhhh!

On the fence on buying one of these. Anyone who picked one up or looked em over close have info, advice, pictures? is the fork 1 1/8" steerer?

Latest posts

Back