My new ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok rodders, how about a little input on this bike-

I was told this is a 49 schwinn... What model? Would this have come with a tank?
What doesn't look like it belongs ?
Approximate value?
I'm pretty sure it's been reprinted, not sure about the parts. I think it looks pretty sweet !!!

left_side_zps440f84fc.jpg

right_side_from_rear_2_zps96312b43.jpg

That's a DX model. Not the highest priced model, not the lowest. You should be able to find a repop tank for $125. It could have come with a tank, or not.

The headlight is a Rocket Ray. It would not have come on a DX. Yours should have a torpedo light. The Rocket Ray is the more desirable light, though.

Hard to tell from the pic but the rims look like single knurled S-2's made in Hungary. They were available from Schwinn around '94-'96. They probably purchased the AS pedals at the same time. Schwinn remade all the old parts for the Centennial Phantom and you could buy all the deluxe Phantom parts separately around '95.

Seat is new but similar to the original Schwinn B-1 seat.

You also have hardware on the top of your fork from a B model. The 8-sided adjustable cone was only on the deluxe bikes like the Phantom and B6.

All in all , a nice resto. I like those fine pinstripes on the fenders. Looks like you need to get 2 more hub caps for the front and ride.
Gary

just got the bike today and can check the serial # p56078 - does this make it a 55 , if so which model ?

Latest posts

Back