my new project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i hve this frame sitting in my garage and i decided to build it up
not sure yet but i will figure something out
it was a donor bike for awhile
im thinking of a bmx style bike i forget what their called that has similar frame design to it
pics pf progress soon
thanks
Sean
0227131608a_zps6423cb25.jpg

hey got that same bike. mine was made by iron horse and has a long chopper front end. Problem is its kid sized so i harvested the 16 in front wheel for my highjinx and the 20 in rear coaster for another chopper bike. Now i've got two 20s for it but need to hook up the back brake as the rear 20 is a free wheel. it'll take 3 inch wide tires (oe for this bike) but the seat is child size and impossible to ride as an adult. I'm gonna put a nana on it and move the seating back over the back tire. the other problem is the short crank arms and small front sprocket. I was thinking the back mite take a 24 in wheel (if u cut out the top support) so it could morph into kind of a chopperesque low gravity cargo. (24 in back 20 in front) I'll be watching yours to see what u come up with. Cheers Tim

heya froggyy99
yup that's similar to the ironhorse
its made by Harley Davidson bicycles
it originally had a 16 inch front 20 inch rear setup
the rear tire is 20x3
the seat is too small and low for an adult
im thinking it will take a 24 inch wheel if you cut the fender mount as well
i have a lot of the original parts scattered on different bikes
im still undecided what i wanna do with it but I'll come up with something lol
thanks for posting
Sean

yea the seat is too small and comes off the frame at an extreme angle. To make matters worse it uses a large diameter seat post (same as the occ and wcc bikes). My seat is trashed so I'm gonna cut it off and reuse the seat post as a shim. I've done this before with my occ chopper. A 27.2 seat post slides in side perfectly. I then made four cuts vertically down the top of the old seat post,put a clamp on it, the 27.2 seat post in it and voila a longer seat post u can put a nana seat (or other) on.Hope this helps u with the seating set up. I think an adult will have to be sitting over the rear axle unless u chop/modify the frame. A 24/20 set up should let u be able to use longer crank arms. U could probably use 24 and 24 in rims as the chopper front end is long. I've got some 24 in stingray front wheels and tires u could have if u wanna go that route. Cheers Tim

cool idea froggy99
i actually have a couple occ rims i might use on it
the seat post is def gonna be modified its too slanted and uncomfortable as well as ugly
im not sure what i wanna do yet i just like the frames style and would like to use it on something its just sitting in my shop atm
im gonna get to building tomorrow i will post what i come up with
thanks for looking
Sean

well i got some parts test fitted
so far i think i got it going good
24 inch wheel will clear the frame as it sits so im thinking a 24/20 type chopper
here is what i got right now
more pics soon
sorry bout the poor quality my cellphone stinks for pics lately
Sean
0301131522_01_zps15bb6e69.jpg

change of plans with this build im gonna build a mockup of a vintage oval track dirt racer forget what their called but basically the had no brakes and you wore a steel overshoe to power slide wit them
i remember them going sideways on the corners just cant think of what their called
but anyways this frame design is perfect for such a build with the kidney shaped gas tank and some narrow 24 inch bmx wheels it should be interesting
ill keep informed once money allows me to do so im kinda broke atm lol
but theres a will thees a way and ill find the way
thanks
sean

ok apparently their called speedway bikes what i was thinking of

i have a few pics for inspiration
heres the bikes i was talking bout
guess its time to get this bad boy underway
lets see what happens
thanks for looking
Sean

I think you just found the perfect use for all those occ chopper bicycles, their frame looks perfect for a speedway bike
Throw on a basic non stretch triple tree fork or shorten the original forks
and find the fattest rear knobby tire you can find

heya monarksofsocal

yep i agree i was watching these speedway bikes in action and noticed the frames look alot like mine and the occ bikes
i am gonna try to run a 24x 3.0 tire on the back and a skinnier 24 in front
i am gonna build a suspension front end from an old triple tree set i have thats bent
im gonna knock off about 4 inches and then gonna weld the suspension ends to it and possibly take another 3 or so inches off it
thats my plan so far
thanks for posting
Sean

a couple of 24 x 3 knobby tire options that you could use

Duro Wildlife Leopard 24 x 3.0 DH Tire

savage3.0_2.jpg

24 x 3.00 Arrow Racing Wide Bite

1663.jpg

BERM MASTER TIRE

719471-BERM-LRG.png

well got some work done but mainly piecing together parts and sizing up
but i have a rough idea of what it will look like

also found these 2 stems of which neither fit my theme so their going in the for sale section as i do not need them

i put a shorter front fender on it and am gonna have to find a 24x3.0 rear single speed wheel with freewheel hub these speedway bikes were brakeless so why add somethng useless and in the way as brakes? lol only need brakes if i plan to stop lol
enjoy!!!

Back