My new Hiawatha... now what? *NEW DESIGN PIC PAGE 2*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
southp said:
Larry said:
You are one grip and a set of pedals away from perfection.

I was just trolling through some threads and saw this pictures. So yOu guys really seem to think that this one is good to go like this, eh?

I'm obviously newer to this forum, but I tend to prefer the shiny and rust-less. I want to understand why this bike is cool as is.

Elaborate. Is it because it's just un-restored and original? But if it looks beat-up, doesn't that make it less of a gem?

It depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

Here are some examples of hot rod cars that capture the look and I think that is why a lot of the guys are suggesting leaving most of the bike as is.

B_Gibbons-Rat-1_jpg.jpg

LakeRat.jpg

Re: My new Hiawatha... now what?

theboywonder916 said:
Ok so here she is. a 50's Hiawatha i just bought on ebay (the devil). i really ike its fenders and fat tire frame. Its very unique. But i really have no clue as to how i should restore it. I think it has a lot of potential, but im not sure which way to go, what do you all think?
remember...the bike is only origional once...
most of my vintage bike rat-projects are too far gone (most origional parts gone, that is!) to try and restore. a rebuild is cheaper than a restore...tear it down, clean everything, repack bearings, assemble & ride...or tear it down (SAVE old parts) & do a custom rebuild...

ok

Ok so perhaps i didnt make my intent completely clear. I bought the bike, it was cheap and i intended on making a custom project out of it. I am leaving the frame intact but just painting it. And sure ill save the original parts that come off, but had never planned on leaving it original. So, after some thinking and meditating, this is what i have drawn up how this custom will kind of look. Please keep in mind i am as much an artist as i am a monkey, im just surprised i could stay in the lines... kind of.

The look i am going for is sort of a desert running looking bike (whatever that means). The paint for the frame is going to be TAN so thinkDESERT-TAN when you look at it. the set of 12 colored pencils i had did not come with "desert-tan" it just had "golden yellow" and "brown 10" (whatever that means). So thats the idea, and ill call it something cool like "desert eagle" or "desert prowler" or "apache".. you get the idea.
hotrod001.jpg

So by now im sure that everyone that said leave it original are saying "ew" and with any luck some of the people who said custom are saying "niice"

tell me what you think of the idea. any input, very welcome.
thank you.

I think this is what they are getting at is

ratbike.jpg

The thing is, the things got history, it glows with history, it made it this far w/ original paint....
now on the other hand, like tartosuc, its yours to do as you please.. make it diffrent 8)

Latest posts

Back