My New Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up from a friend of mine!
It is a 502-46180, He said it was a '59 but I don't really know?_?
DSC04012.jpg

DSC03990.jpg

DSC04004.jpg

DSC04007.jpg

DSC03995.jpg

The 2-speed works great! The lights and horn don't work. Fenders need a bit of attention. Overall pretty cool!

NICE! It's a '62 from what I can find. I have one just like this but it was much more beat up until recently. You have a really nice example of this bike and if you'd ever want to sell it or part it out, please let me know. It would be sad to part out since it's in such great shape. Begging to be restored. Definitely one of the nicest unmolested Higgins diamond editions that I have seen and I have seen a lot of these lately. Don't use steel wool on the frame or forks. It has a major coat of clear lacquer that would be ruined. Use brasso or strip the frame if you are going to clean it up.

Thanks for the info! So far I am just spraying it down with wd40 and wiping it off with a microfiber rag.

I took the wheels off and tightened up the front fender and replaced a missing screw on the rear fender, so it is ride'able now. The wheels are pretty bent :( Tires are OK, but showing their age with some cracking.

I took the tank off today as well as the rear light to clean things up and see if I could make them work. Well I cleaned things up anyway :mrgreen: I am really trying to decide what I should do about the electrics on this bike... whether I should try to stay original, or update with some super bright LEDs and some sweet horn :?:

I noticed that there is some sort of clear coat on the frame, It looks like someone has already done some damage to it.

Yeah... that's the lacquer flaking off. It just happens over time. If you want to keep any part of the original finish, you could give it a light sanding with a low number steel wool followed by a good wipe down with lacquer thinner then top it back with more clear lacquer over a period of a few weeks. Then the finish would be as original as possible. You may have to wait until next summer to do this because of the way lacquer behaves. Like I had said, you can polish out the rust with brasso but this will take longer than 000 or 0000 steel wool and WD-40. The WD-40 is more of a lubricant with the steel wool but it is light enough to dissolve any crud without breaking into the finish so it’s recommended to use with steel wool but you have to be careful not to scuff up the clear lacquer on this bike because there is no turning back if that happens. You can test the spot you want to clean with a bit of lacquer thinner. If where you put it tacks up then it has lacquer there.

I was reading another post on this site and someone made a good point of wondering why to clear coat chrome anyhow. Protection is the main reason I'm sure they did this, but after some time you'll get what you're seeing which is flaking and inconsistencies in the finish. I was going to strip and clear coat mine again but why bother, I just stripped it. My bike going to stay inside as long as I own it and the chrome is much brighter without a clear coat anyhow. Clear coat is great over paint but not chrome if you ask me. Lacquer is also really hard to work with out of a spray can unless you have very good conditions. There’s only a few weeks here where the humidity is low enough for me to work with lacquer so I avoid it unless I’m doing something special that I can bring inside and bake. Whatever you spray with it also has to be very clean and unprimed two huge drawbacks for me.

Krylon makes some good quality candy paint named "Metals" which I used with excellent results. These are enamel so this paint mixes well with other spray paints. I did a glitter finish and was impressed with the coverage of the Krylon candy paint over the glitter too. Avoid the Valspar spray paints at all costs. If you're going to stay with the original paint on the fork, tank and carrier (and you probably should), don't use anything harsher than a good quality cleaner/wax. Anything stronger than naphtha will wreck the candy paint since none of it has clear coat over the colored finishes. If you have to remove something like tar, use naphtha, not goof off or tar remover.

I hope that you just leave it and enjoy it the way it is. There's plenty of wrecked up flightliners that you can buy for a hundred bucks in so-so condition but it takes a long time to find all the parts your bike has and in as good of condition. Sell yours and get two or three to play with. You will still have money left over. Anything better than yours is a thousand dollar bike. There's one on eBay now that I would bet will go over a grand.

Nice! 4618 is the '61 catalog #, 1st year for the chrome frame, and that's an original 2 speed w/that number. Dig it! -Adam

Back