MY NEW BIKE BETTER PHOTOS ADDED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brakes? You only really need an emergency brake. Get yourself a boat anchor and a short piece of chain. Rig it up with a pedal or lever so you can "drop anchor" and stop. 8) B607

B607 said:
Brakes? You only really need an emergency brake. Get yourself a boat anchor and a short piece of chain. Rig it up with a pedal or lever so you can "drop anchor" and stop. 8)
B607
bikepusher said:
exactly, you don't need brakes you need a horn!

HAHA :lol:

Unchained wrote:davidhud29,

that rear tire is awesome! Great idea! How hard was it to make the wheel work on the bicycle?

It wasn't to bad once you figure how to do it. Just take a rear bike shaft and cut it in two. Take a piece of conduit that will fit close to the same size diameter and cut to appropriate length. Weld in a piece of all thread (or similar) to lengthen the inner threaded shaft. Now you have your new axle. Now weld a plate to mount in the wheel. I bought some bolts and wheel lugs to mount the plate so it can be removed if necessary. Weld bolts to plate, to line up with holes in wheel, cut a hole in the middle to slide shaft into (do this before welding new axle together). Now weld new axle in place in the plate. You now have the new axle assembly. Clear as mud? Good. You can also check out http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-overkill.htm If you want to get fancy.

Thanks for the link, I will look into that in better detail later today. (I've got my own bike to work on. :wink:) My thought on the brakes: It might be too hard on the front wheel, but mounting a rim/caliper cable operated brake to the front would be easy (though you may have to make and weld into place a bracket for the caliper). Just a thought?

Also: On the tires, I know where you can a get good front tire (well, actually, a set of two, but a spare wouldn't hurt?).... Check this link out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0347083348

I bought a set of these tires a couple weeks ago. The seller is real nice, and the tires are great quality. These should be the size you need, but I'd check the old front tire for reference. Also... if you end up needing some sort of older, ratty cable operated bicycle rim brake, I think I have an old aluminum caliper assembly with a lever, cable sheath, pads, bolt, cable, etc. It works fine... I can pm you a picture.

No cars on mars said:
Do you have enough room inside the rear tire to put a drum brake? Or disk?

An old automotive disc hub with the ebrake pads in it would be small and slick. Mount the lever down low below your thigh.

davidhud29 said:
Thanks for the feedback. So far I just stop flinstone style. :lol: I've thought of a few different brake options, but haven't really tried anything yet. I'm thinking some type of suicide looking design (tall rat finkish look), with a plate to drag on the tread part of the tire. Pull (or push) the lever and create the drag effect. Not sure how well it would work. It would be for looks more than anything. I don't mind flinstoneing it. I tried the YouTube thing once with something else. Never could figure how to post the video. Guess I'll have to get the old lady to video my big butt riding this and try again. It's actually very comfortable and easy to ride. Except the metal seat is a little hard on the tail bone. A few friends have tried to ride it and they all get pretty wobbly trying to steer. I guess the long front end is a little tricky to get the hang of. I don't have any problems with it. Then again I built it specifically for me. If your 6' or taller you shouldn't have any problems. By the way I built it in about a week and a half. Not working at the moment. So this was my project.
I had a go-kart once with a brake system similar to this. Worked ok... Until my throttle got stuck wide open and I ended up running tinto the wall of my dad's shop... But I don't see why it wouldn't work on a bike.

Back