My new 1950-something Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this bad boy up today for a few bucks from a seller on craigslist:
DSC01482.jpg

Within 15 minutes of getting it home:
0507011845.jpg

And the product of an hour or two of playing with it, and some light 80-grit sanding:
downsized_0507011952.jpg

0507011953.jpg

I'm not sure whether I should restore it or not, It's a little crustier than expected. Either way, it already rides pretty nice. Got another old crank ot put on it (that's not bent like the current one).

Plans:
-Either paint it or leave it natural
-DEFINITELY painting those god-awful blue rims
-New tires
-Possibly paint and straighten the sheetmetal parts.

This is my first old bike project, so chances are it will be slow moving. Here goes nothing.

Re: My new 1940 or 1950-something Hawthorne

Nice find that bike has great lines and truss rods intact always a plus. Recently got into it myself and it's hard not to restore something and leave well enough alone.

Being toted around:
downsized_0509011245.jpg

downsized_0514011306.jpg

downsized_0510011806.jpg

Made some progress. LOTS of light thin glazing/spot putty on this one thanks to some pitting.
Almost ready for paint, on that note.

downsized_0516011525.jpg

downsized_0516011734.jpg

downsized_0514011748.jpg

I have some more progress pics, but they won't save from my e-mail for some reason. More updates to come... Stay thirsty my friends.

Thanks for the info. I noticed the earlier Hawthornes (40's) have a straight downtube, so I was leaning towards 50's.

Front fork, frame, and truss rods are ready for paint. Going to keep the colors and scheme a secret for now, because they may change. Have to sand and prime the crank, and do something about the HIDEOUS blue-rimmed wheels.

Anyone know a good way to paint the wheels without unlacing them? A lot of masking?

Nope, the first 4 pics are at my apartment, The next 5 are at my mother's, and the last is at a friend's garage.

Love apartment life! Not!

Are the "hideous blue rims" painted steel rims or anodized aluminum? If aluminum I wouldn't paint, but trade or sell, you could make some money. If just painted stealies, then do what you want.

Zack01GC said:
Nope, the first 4 pics are at my apartment, The next 5 are at my mother's, and the last is at a friend's garage.

Love apartment life! Not!

Dude, I feel you on the apartmen life! luckily my folks house is just a block away so I hav somewhere to work.

The wheels are anodized aluminum, but they are in bad shape. The spokes are beyond polishing (steel wool couldn't even make them look halfway decent), and it looks to me like someone grazed the entire front rim with 80 grit. Just enough to put scratches in it, but not enough to remove the blue coating. I also have a spare rear New Departure Model D rear wheel, but it is equally as crusty. I would much rather just buy another wheelset, but money is not permitting at the moment.

You have done nice work on a great old bike!
rc

I may have just made a mistake getting carried away. I sanded and primed the new crank (from a 1960 Schwinn I believe) in order to paint it. That was dumb.

Back