My Model T Speedster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have'nt been here for a while, as I've been devoting my spare time, (as if I have any) But I thought, that I'd take this opportunity, to introduce you, to my 1918 Model T.....

So yesterday, being a beautiful day as it was, I thought that I’d get my Speedster, out of the garage. The radio was on, playing music of the Big Band Era. The skies were clear, as a gentle breeze blew across the plains. I carefully checked everything that I could think of. Garage door open, stuff out of the way, clear to the rear. Ok. Kick the tires, light the fires, lets go! One good pull I thought, and we should be fine. Yup! One good pull..... And away she went. Out the garage, and down the driveway. I watched my beloved Speedster “Civil Disobedience” leave the garage, which has housed & protected her since her inception. Backwards she went, gaining speed, as she passed the tractor. The cats ran for cover, the kittens ran for dear life. The dog started barking, as he started to run after the car. Myself, I stood there, dumbfounded, as I watched my car head out to the road.

My mind started reeling with different scenarios, and different levels of disaster, as the car continued to gain speed down the driveway. The barn, the trucks, the pasture, the riding arena... All potential targets, and possible recipient, of a runaway 1918 Model T Speedster. I dropped my beer, which being that I just opened it, was a disaster in its own right. I started to run out after my car. Slowly at first, as if in slow motion. Then Reality set in. I WAS running slowly. VERY slowly. After all, I just had reconstructive surgery on my knee. That was a gift from my ex, but that’s a story for another time.

I hobbled down the driveway, terrified, as my hand built car accelerated into the openess, of the free road. WAIT! How, in the world could this be happening? It doesn’t even have an engine in it? Is this some kind of terrible dream that I cant awake from? Is this some new “reality” show, on the Discovery Channel? Make it stop!

By now, the dog probably thought that this was some kind of new game, as he sat down to watch all the commotion. “Get behind the car, pull it out of the garage, and watch it as it rolls away.... People sure are dumb”...... I’m just guessing, that those were his thoughts, as I really don’t understand, how his little doggie mind works. Maybe I’m better off for it. At any rate, my thoughts though, were much different, as my car was getting quite a lead on me by now.

Luckily, she veered off into the front yard, and came to a halt out on the lawn with out hitting a thing. Sentimental Journey was playing on the radio, my heart was pounding, the dog was licking his chops. I went inside, to get another beer, and my camera of course..... I cant wait to drive this thing......

A rolling away car can be a dangerous thing. There was an old timer here that was trying to load his Chevelle on a trailer and it started to roll back off. He tried to jump in and hit the brakes but didn't make it. He got pinned between the door and the garage wall as the car rolled back into it. Was in the hospital quite a while.

One of my many projects waiting is a '21 Dodge 3 window coupe. I got the body for free from a good friend. He's into Model Ts and didn't want to bother with this one as he has a bunch of Ts. He has sold many of them since then but he has 2 speedster projects, coupes, and an A. His only finished car at the moment is a T coupe with an A cowl on '32 rails, an '32 grill and a V8 flattie. It's called "T and A".

Back