my little rat (stolen in summer 2015 in Berlin GER)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
013.jpg
016.jpg
014.jpg

What is the best method (other then constantly in our sight) to ward off would be thieves?

I was curious if anyone used the chip tagging system. Similar systems are used for pets, a micro chip is placed under the skin and a chip wand reads the number. Then that is correlated to the owner/ rescue or vet contact information.
I was thinking it might be useful if placed inside a part of the frame.
No idea on if this would be cost effective.

So back to my original question- how do you protect your beloved bikes (since there is a great deal of time, money and effort put into them)?

Lock them and pray to Athena.

I've seen several kickstarters and such for overpriced trackers, so they are out there.

Pet micro-chipping doesn't provide the animals' location, only their identity. Your bike would first have to found and intentionally scanned before that kind of technology would be of any benefit.

Little will stop a very determined thief, so your best recourse is reasonable security practices and a good insurance policy.

A lot of home owner's insurance covers bikes, but I have no idea how they value them, particularly if they're custom, and I would be surprised if they'd write up an appraisal without a separate policy.

A lot of home owner's insurance covers bikes, but I have no idea how they value them, particularly if they're custom, and I would be surprised if they'd write up an appraisal without a separate policy.
Indeed- my rental policy covers our belongings from theft. I will ha e to call and find out how they calculate value. But if it does not match the actual value, that would be the a reason for purchasing a rider.

Back