My first trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my first "rat rod" and my first trike. the project is slow going with moving and the family.
as the build goes on, so does the motivation to get her done. i was thinking of using a girls raleigh "challenger" frame with the trike rear end.

here's the rusty bike

AprilMay09129.jpg

AprilMay09126.jpg

AprilMay09125.jpg

AprilMay09124.jpg

AprilMay09135.jpg

oh yeah i have no idea what make or year this trike is???
if anyone knows please let me know. thanks 8)

Big fat that looks real close, does your trike drive both wheels or just one like mine? :)
thanks for posting pics 8)
cheers

here's the Raleigh, thinking of chopping the bike down a bit. I've marked the second pic with red tape,
i want to cut just below the tape.

trike018.jpg

trike033.jpg

let me know what you guys think...

redeyerat said:
Big fat that looks real close, does your trike drive both wheels or just one like mine? :)
thanks for posting pics 8)
cheers
It just drives by one wheel. Notice the head tube on both bikes. See how they are fat in the middle, and smaller on the ends to fit the cups? I'd say yours is newer than mine though.

Re: My first trike UPDATE PICS...

well starting to get the idea of what its going to look like. needs some ape hangers and a banana seat. 8)

what do you guys think...

trikeupdate004.jpg

trikeupdate005.jpg

trikeupdate007.jpg

cheers

that first trike with the deraileur is neat, but the second one has lots of potential too.

Cool, like the idea of ape hangers and a bannana seat. Maybe a springer fork with smaller front wheel and whitewalls would complete the look. 8) Always wanted a trike.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that first trike with the deraileur is neat, but the second one has lots of potential too.

so i'm only using the rear end from the first trike and the Raleigh bike frame with a little chop....
i don't like the look of the stock frame, and that's where the raleigh come is in.
going to keep the derailleur for a three speed or i might use the crank in the pic for a six speed.

Uncle Stretch said:
May be just me ...but it looks like you are going to have some mighty short legs to pedal that bike

the seat was there just for the pic, going with a banana seat for sure, hopefully the trike ends up comfortable to ride 8)

imperial-custom said:
Cool, like the idea of ape hangers and a banana seat. Maybe a springer fork with smaller front wheel and whitewalls would complete the look. 8) Always wanted a trike.

i like your ideas...i just picked up some parts the other day. banana seat, sissy bar and some ape hangers all that new for 50$.
and i also looked at a springer front end (new) that was 50$ as well. is that cheap or what?
as for rims i was thinking 24'' in the back and 26'' in the front.

thanks for the comments guys! 8) 8)

Re: My first trike -some new parts-

newpartsupdate003.jpg

my attempt at a suicide brake, would of been nice to mount it to the frame but this works too. 8)
almost done the trike just need two 24" rims and a chain.

trike-suicidebrakefender006.jpg

trike-suicidebrakefender007.jpg

trike-suicidebrakefender016.jpg

trike-suicidebrakefender019.jpg

trike-suicidebrakefender028.jpg

trike-suicidebrakefender034.jpg

deorman said:
Very cool. What's up w/the clamp near the steering head?

hey, thanks man. Well the front tire is off the table so the clamp holds the front end straight. 8)

cheers

here's some pics of my first laced rim, i'm glad i didn't take both rims apart so i could use the one as a guide.
seems like a weird pattern??

trike-rimfirstlace001.jpg

trike-rimfirstlace007.jpg

8)

Re: My first trike (9 speed)

Here she is not complete but close. Small list to do, i just had to ride it.
I'm glad i decide to do this project as she's a blast to ride.

trikesemi-done010.jpg

trikesemi-done025.jpg

trikesemi-done017.jpg

To do list

-paint frame, forks and rear end ( flat red)
-paint the rear rims white (semi-gloss)
-reinforce rear sissy bar (trying to mount a rear carrier under seat) -DONE-
-shrink wrap for bar grips (someone on this site had that good idea :lol: ) -DONE-
- last but most definitely needed to get the look i'm after ( some 3.0 or 4.25 rear tires)

thanks for looking 8)

cheers

All your trikes are looking good!
Graylock said:
If you haven't already seen this ,give it a look http://trikekit.blogspot.com/
Richie Rich came up with that a while ago.
..........Then it reared it's head up again just recently with Sir Joey http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=2063. It appears to start on page #6 I think. It goes on a bit but it's something to look at. I made one but I'm still working it out. Like to see what you come up with.

Later...........

GL

Quoting this guy doesn't make me a bad person :wink:
One of my projects that is at a stand still.............maybe because I cut up the Huffy frame of the trike to make a swing bike (was a good move). I'll replace the frame with this Clipper I got at the Munson Swap this year.
MineNow01.jpg

adding this to it
GrannyAxle01a.jpg

GL

Back