My first Rat...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I thought I'd start out with one of my first donor/dumpster bikes. this was one that Dad saved out and wanted me to fix for him. I'm notorious about not documenting my steps to construction. most of the time I'm too excited seeing it come together to stop and photograph. originally I greased the bearings and put a new set of wheels and pedals on and he was happy. then I found a two tone huffy santa fe II that I fixed up to gice him and got his leftovers. this is an older huffy but I'm not sure of the year. cool art deco looking chainguard is what got me started.

rat-1.jpg

then I had a friend out of nowhere bring home a murray rat-trap springer from a swap meet that he went to one weekend so I got going...

rat-3.jpg

scabbed in a second piece of a fender to get the low wrap-around look and added a light where the left-over hole was.

rat-4.jpg

dyno bars, a light, siren and a 26" wheel on the front... was a bit big so...

rat-5.jpg

put a 24" wheel on the front. buzz canned the flat black. got a new seat that had a tear in it and put an old messinger pull over seat cover for that old look, new feel.

rat-6.jpg

the reflector on the back is one of those huge schwinn ones that I turned out 180. GT 44T chainring and fusion crank, some german union block pedals and the "your bike sucks" chainstay sticker for the added attitude. I rode the sunshine trail bridge with it which was 4mi one way so it rides well. my big self bottoms out the springer fork but as long as I don't get too crazy it's a good ride.

twisty beat me to the spider question. where did you get that?

The wife came home with that... it was black and red so I thought it would compliment. I think she got it @ china mart although I didn't want to know. they killed three bike shops this year and almost did mine in.

Nice work. That looks like a rattrap springer with truss rods. Very interesting. I like the back fender with the extra reflector.

Back