My first Rat!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Here's a coupla pics of my work in progress cheapo wallymart bike turned rat rod. I tore it down, primered, spray-bombed it satin black, and put the springer, shorty fenders, & light on it so far. Got some apes, cooler grips & pedals on the way.

myschwinn011.jpg

myschwinn013.jpg

It started as a "Next La Jolla" (aluminum frame) cruiser, & is super light. Cost me $85 or so. I just liked the shape of the frame (and the price).

Very sharp! I might have to check out wally world next time I go to the big city.

That came out cool, nice bike.
My frame like that was called the 26"Retro Cruiser. Is that a 24" or 26" bike?
That will really look sweet with ape hangers.

The bike looks good - especially with the springer on it.

I had one briefly. Bought it on CL, took the stickers off, and then sold it a few weeks later. I already had a 3 speed cruiser, so it was just an extra single speed bike for me at the time.

Here's a shot without the stickers. Removing them made a major difference in the looks.

The thing I loved the most about it was the aluminum frame. You could pick it up with one hand and put it on a bike rack it was so light.

IMG_0842.jpg

Yeah, first thing I did was de-stickerize it. The flourescent uber-shiny red kandee paint was growin' on me :shock: - for about 10 minutes and then I snapped out of it!

I saw one of these at Wal-Mart one time and noticed the holographic effect of the paint. It made me think that maybe it was just a giant sticker....aka "wrap" covering the entire frame as opposed to paint.

When I first got it home, I thought maybe it was anodized alunimum, cuz it kinda had that look to it. But, as soon as I started sanding I knew it was just paint (thankfully).

Got my pedals and new grips on. These bars are growin on me, kinda have a motorcycle look to them, I just tilted them forwards a bit. I might save my apes for my next build I already have in mind. I also have a black diamond-quilted seat on the way for this bike. Fun sheeot!

newbike2.jpg

newbike4.jpg

Back