My first "rat rod" bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, here's my first rat rod bike. My main project is a 1990 Mazda MX-5, but frankly it's too .... cold to be working on it :roll: Recently, out of completely no where, I got the urge to restore/build/customize/whatever a beach cruiser bike. So without further ado.....

$18 bike from Goodwill ("Ocean Pacific"). Check out the front spokes, lol
oszo29.jpg

14kl4yo.jpg

Old white wall tires from the Whizzer days
1116ooj.jpg

...as well as some old apehangers from the Whizzer days too
1rp5s4.jpg

t8kcnc.jpg

I have much more; these pics were from the first day I had the bike (three days ago or so). Let me dig up the photos from today's work, they'll be up in a minute.

Well I had most of the parts mocked up on the bike before I tore it all down and began painting. Eventually I'm gonna add on a banana seat, a headlight and some nice fenders.
14jrxgi.jpg

I don't have any pics, but I also sanded off all the rust on the chrome parts and polished them with some Turtle Chrome Polish.

I cleaned & sanded the chain guard, frame, handlebars & fork. Took a heck of a lot of Goo Gone to get rid of the years-old gunk and sticker residue. I then laid down a white primer and a final coat of flat black.
2qmkb3c.jpg

Then I taped off the spokes (only 36, but still really tedious) and laid down some gloss red Rusto on the rims.
16gwk81.jpg

Here's a mockup of the final wheel - I can't wait to put the tires on tomorrow morning :D Of course the tires are going to be much cleaner.
21d1m3l.jpg

At this point in time I'm just playing the waiting game for the paint to dry. All the parts are hanging in the garage.

Sweet, I actually found it easier to just paint the rims and rub the paint off the spokes later, Especially with chrome spokes as it doesn't stick that well anyway, Saves a lot of time masking. I have since cleaned the rims..... :roll: I did about the same look on my bootlegger build, then a few rusty bits and custom touches and here's what mine became:

PA210156.jpg

Here's a teaser pic. The bike's put together and ride-able, but sadly I have morning shift and can't post all the pictures :roll:

hvt990.jpg

I'd say the project is about 85% done. I gotta add on the handle grips and paint on some pinstriping. I also wanna add on some fenders, a headlight and a back luggage rack.

2ce6a7r.jpg

51d3t5.jpg

1z15qnb.jpg

Classic look....I NEVER get tired of that combo.

Needs some handlebar grips and some final pinstripe detail around the white accents but other than that it's pretty much done. Maybe a banana seat later....but I have $400 worth of Miata parts laying around so this thing's on the backburner for now :cool:

I fit/painted a piece of plywood for the "tank", installed some fenders, and took it all back apart one more time to paint some little white diamond details. Like I said I wanna finish the red pinstriping around the white but it's not a priority.

f2igiq.jpg

2nv73fn.jpg

2itsvtd.jpg

egveyb.jpg

The bike and the Miata.....Two classic looking rides. 8)

phantomxrider said:
I have some more pics of the Miata if you guys are interested 8)

I work for a Mazda dealer. I pick up or deliver Miatas all over the Northeast.........Never thought I'd say this, but on the NEW ones, I'd prefer the auto-trans. The "paddle" shifters are quick and precise.........I LOVE my job! :lol:

Bit of a bump but I've been messing with it lately. Up until this point I've been at the local campus of my college, but this semester I'm moving to the next city over to the main campus so I've been focusing on the bike more since they won't let you drive from the dorms to class. The bike's looking quite different now. Here's what I've done so far:

-Wood grain foam handlebar grips
-"gas tank" and luggage rack platform made from wood
-Rear luggage rack installed, painted flat black
-New 3-spring tan seat w/ diamond stitching and chrome crash bar
-1948 Whizzer handlebars put on, painted flat black (dad gave me the original ones off his '48 Whizzer he's restoring; the chrome was too pitted to work with so he got repro's)

Crappy cell pic, mo better ones to come
253878_224952254191054_100000288434955_931585_4312428_n.jpg

Soon to come is a bullet light paired with a flat black springer fork, a brown leather messenger bag to hang on the side of the luggage rack, & some powdercoated red rims with black spokes.

Back