My first project/stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bored and decided to pull out my wifes childhood mountain bike from the shed. It's a 90's 24" Elagante Nice Cycle. Right away I noticed the tires were as solid as rocks and it's been in one spot hanging for at least 15 years that I know of. My first thought was that it had to be stretched and lowered so I began planning ideas in my head and drawing out plans. I decided on a coffin shape and instead of just laying the seat post back I cut the top of the rear forks and bent them up to the post which also lowered the rear. Here's what I started with and some mock ups. The plan is to leave all the patina on the bare metal. Let me know what you think so far and suggestions are always welcome.

"The Hurst"

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

Got some more work done on it. I painted the frame, forks and goose neck with spray on bed liner, sanded the bars down to bare metal and let them sit in the wet dirt to get patina, greased all the bearings and mocked it up. I'm only gonna run a front brake and use an OCC chopper front fender in the rear that I'll sand and patina also. I just need tires, tubes, grips, pedals and a seat to get it on the road. I'm thinking I might go with cream tires since I like the way the grey stock ones look and not sure now if I wanna go with a saddle or velour bannana seat, probably a saddle. I added an old rusty saw blade on the front tire just to mimic a brake disc and give it some patina'd character. Later on I'll probably move the crank up the frame with a piece from a spare bike so I can keep the seat as low as possible and still be able to ride without kneeing yourself.
Tips, suggestions or critiques???

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Not much of an update, but I got a pair of NOS ww's on there way and the patina will be gone. Suck's, but it's my wifes bike and she doesn't want it. I'll still build it up as is for her to test ride it before removing any rust, but she already had me change the bars since she couldn't reach the straighter drag bars. I don't care for it, but oh well. The saw blade will probably get tossed when I clean it all up, but I have another use for it on my next build.

001-3.jpg

White walls came in today, gonna have to widen the rear a tad, but that's no biggie. These 2.25's look huge compared to the 1.75's that were on it. Since my wife doesn't want any patina I'm thinking of just murdering it out, but we'll see...
001-4.jpg

I left this build behind and decided to throw it together with leftover parts to sell or trade locally and this is what I came up with. Nothing special, just a more complete bike out of a project frame I didn't care for.
003-12.jpg

002-10.jpg

Back