MY FIRST PREWAR SCORE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Earlier in the week I saw an ad on CL that said "prewar schwinn - $300 (roanoke rapids)" I didn't click on it because I wanted a prewar Schwinn, but because it was in my town and I thought it would be something for the Craigslist Idiots thread.

The ad said this: "By serial number was told this schwinn is a 1941. Not sure but is original. Good shape for age that would make a great restoration. Make me an offer. "

Just fishing to see if the ad was correct I sent him a message asking for photos, I got them back, the bike looked legit, but for a girls bike the price was off. So I told him good luck selling, then I sent an e-mail right after that asking if he would want to trade for anything, he replied "hunting stuff or broken gold jewelry."

When people say hunting stuff they want guns and I'm not getting rid of mine. Years ago we went through my wife's old jewelry and got rid of what she no longer used, so it seemed pointless.

I remembered a gold rope bracelet that my kids found in a parking lot a few months back that I thought was gold, so I e-mailed the guy and told him about that and a silver commemorative 88 Korean olympics coin I'd been given when I was 14. After I sent him photos last night he said he would trade.

Still not off the hook we would be meeting at a pawn shop in town to make sure the bracelet was gold, I went ahead and went there this morning just so I wouldn't face embarrassment later, it was gold and they offered me $85 for it, which at a pawn shop is good money, it must have been a nice bracelet.

I met the guy later and we made the trade, the bike I had seen in photos had been disassembled and packed in a box, his CL ad had gotten a guy in California interested and he was going to ship it to him until he quoted the guy $200 for shipping. :shock: haha Enough of me talking, here are the photos:

This doesn't look promising:
image001.jpg

Out of the box, the guy was thorough, maybe a little too thorough...
image002.jpg

The tires are Kendas, brand new, never ridden on, must be new tubes too, the guy didn't even know.

Grips and pedals are shot, but I'm betting the light would be good money if I parted this out:
image003.jpg

Nice reflector on the rear fender, has a drop of paint on it. Seat is in decent "rat" condition:
image004.jpg

What do you call this color?
image005.jpg

Needed a couple nuts and bolts that he must have lost removing the fenders, but I found these in the shop when I bought this house:
image009.jpg

New Departure coaster:
image014.jpg

My first skiptooth!
image012.jpg

Horn button tank, nice headbadge, headlight, this is the money shot:
image011.jpg

Here it is:
image010.jpg

I have a set of black Schwinn grips I'll be tossing on this, will either repair or replace the pedals. I was going to just cannibalize this bike for parts, but I think I'm keeping it all together. I rode it across the yard and besides the noisy saddle, it's smooth. I will be letting someone ride this in the Christmas parade on Sunday.

Coolest part, this bike was basically free. :mrgreen:

cman said:
Nice score for a trade. What headbadge is that?

I don't know the difference in all of them, let me go look... It says up top "Arnold Schwinn & Co." Then there is a globe that says "The World" over it and Chicago, USA on the bottom.

Awesome score for a grand total of $0 FSD!

Nice score. Old Schwinns are just as cool as they come. I have a boy's 46/47 DX that is the same color. I've had it for a long time and it is probably my favorite riding vintage bike!

I am kinda disappointed.
I was expecting an ONYX/ONEX 29er

image001.jpg

tanksalot said:
Thats a nice bike even more so for the price .. :D
I have to ask is there a shortage of old vintage bikes in your area?
I figured they would be all over the place down there .. :D

HUGE shortage, they are non existent. First, we are east coast and even though we don't have "salty" winters, the humidity eats up bikes. Secondly, this has never been a really rich place, so there probably were never a huge amount of nice bikes, and now anything metal gets turned it for scrap and has for years and years, so many old bikes met their fate with a shredder for less than a penny a pound. Finally, being a rural area, it's doubtful bikes were ever used as a form of transportation around here, so bikes are rare. That's why when I saw this ad I was really shocked, a bike doesn't move around here that I don't see. :lol:

Wow ,I would have never have thought about it that way I figured your in the Land of History with little snow so there would be bikes..Im in Mass. with the saltly winters & I live near the ocean . But thres a ton of History in the town I live in & people flocked here by the tens of thousands back in the day . Theres still a lot of people who summer here but its not nearly as many that came here from 1911 to the mid 1970s .We had a Amusement park here until then. Im supprised Ive found what I have here I didnt expect to find much because of the Salt & the Salt . Plus Theres a lot of bike Hunters around & scrappers .. But I can still find stuff from time to time. :D Im glad you found somthing good near by. :D
yoothgeye said:
tanksalot said:
Thats a nice bike even more so for the price .. :D
I have to ask is there a shortage of old vintage bikes in your area?
I figured they would be all over the place down there .. :D

HUGE shortage, they are non existent. First, we are east coast and even though we don't have "salty" winters, the humidity eats up bikes. Secondly, this has never been a really rich place, so there probably were never a huge amount of nice bikes, and now anything metal gets turned it for scrap and has for years and years, so many old bikes met their fate with a shredder for less than a penny a pound. Finally, being a rural area, it's doubtful bikes were ever used as a form of transportation around here, so bikes are rare. That's why when I saw this ad I was really shocked, a bike doesn't move around here that I don't see. :lol:

Thanks guys, I'm really hyped about this bike, not sure what for, I have been on the record to not be impressed with Schwinn bikes, and I don't get excited about girls bikes, but I think the age and condition of this bike and the fact it was basically free was really cool.

Need to figure out the serial number thing... H30218

Need to open the headlight and the tank to see how much of the battery trays still exist.

Yeah, you're right on the light! I need one for my '39 Elgin and I'd offer 75-100$ depending on how clean it is inside :lol:

That's a '41 DX. You can tell it's a '41 by the tank. The '40 girls tank was huge. The Delta light is a "front loader" and is correct for prewar. The bike also has Lobdell flat top rims made of "special steel", which came out in '41. Probably chrome. I think they were one year only. A nice rider or good trading material. Congrats on your first prewar skip tooth. Gary

B607 said:
That's a '41 DX. You can tell it's a '41 by the tank. The '40 girls tank was huge. The Delta light is a "front loader" and is correct for prewar. The bike also has Lobdell flat top rims made of "special steel", which came out in '41. Probably chrome. I think they were one year only. A nice rider or good trading material. Congrats on your first prewar skip tooth. Gary

You gave me all the answers and more, than you very much! Did they have a "special" name for the color or was it just brown or something?

A 71 year old bike... wow.

Are you sure it's not actually red? Pull the tank and look under the top bar. My 54 Columbia looks like a brown, but it's actually an aged red.

kingfish254 said:
Are you sure it's not actually red? Pull the tank and look under the top bar. My 54 Columbia looks like a brown, but it's actually an aged red.

I think the finish is too even to have aged this way, but when I open the tank I'll let you know.

Back