My First Frankenbike: Code Name: Green21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old bike frame I decided to 'upgrade' from a single speed coaster brake to a 21 speed. At first I was going to use my old mountain bike gears, brakes, etc, but this proved to be a losing battle as it was all too small, less the rear shift arm.

The plan is to paint the frame dark grey metalic, get green handle bars and tires, put caliper brakes and multi gear rear on it.

I have welded a plate on the rear of the frame with a hole drilled for the rear caliper. And my first bondo attempt to smooth it all out is done. First pics below:

Sanded, off the floor ready for paint

First coat of Rattle-can grey metallic

The rear caliper plate

The plate needs a little more bondo/icing me thinks, but good enough for me to get out and ride around on!

Next step is a little sanding on a few small runs, second coat, and then some clear 8)

The rear mountain bike wheel would not work.

I purchased a 7 speed rear wheel with shinamo spacing.

I have test fit all of the parts. Late tomorrow evening I will be putting it all together!

I am going to buy some different tires for it, and I will post more pics tomorrow/saturday of the build and stage 1 finished project.

Update:

Rear Wheel re-mounted.
Pedals installed. Used Lucas Oil automotive grease to re-grease the bearings. Overkill, but hey, less friction, right?

Rear brake re-mounted.
I did plan on this reverse mounting to keep the cabling away from the gears.

New front wheel I bought hastily was too wide, re-greased, and re-tightened the original.
I seem to have lost the front derailer... Not a huge deal, I will find another, need to get this road-ready for tomorrow's ride :)
All I need to do is install the other pedal, route the cabling, adjust the brakes, and tighten up the handle bars

And... Apparently I forgot to test mount the rear caliper with the pedals installed :oops:
Anyone have a suggestion on this one? Maybe I can find a smaller width caliper, or are there pedals that are out another 1/4"?

I will measure tomorrow evening if I have energy left over.

Back