My first classic bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've begun work on my first classic bike. These are pictures of when I first got it and once I get it all sanded and free of rust I will post a few more.
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg
If anyone knows where I can get a bolt to hold the handle bars in place in the middle I would really appreciated it. I'm also trying to decide on the color. Right now I'm caught between the blue that is original, a light blue, and a mint green. I'm open to all suggestions!

how 'bout light blue frame and forks and keep the current darker blue the way it is?

Shandelle,
Krylon makes makes a couple of nice blues and greens that can be found at Wal-Mart and such.
Mint and light blue always looked a little too 'Easter egg' for me. Here's a link to their color choices:
http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

Here's an anatomy of a bike image I found by on the interwebs, hope it helps
bike_anatomy.gif

Good luck, we're here for ya!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Wow! Thanks so much! The diagram is super helpful! Does anyone know where I could get a new seat? All I can seem to find are banana seats and I really don't want one of those.

Hi Shandelle, You should be able to get a seat at just about any bike store. That older bike probably has the smaller size seat post so you will need to check that too. They should also be able to get that bolt for the stem so you can tighten that up too. You might want to take the bike to the store with you that way they can see exactly what you have, and maybe go over it to make sure their are no other problems. Or just ask about it on this site, everybody loves to help out on here so dont hesitate to ask questions. TTT

TommyTwoTime said:
Hi Shandelle, You should be able to get a seat at just about any bike store. That older bike probably has the smaller size seat post so you will need to check that too. They should also be able to get that bolt for the stem so you can tighten that up too. You might want to take the bike to the store with you that way they can see exactly what you have, and maybe go over it to make sure their are no other problems. Or just ask about it on this site, everybody loves to help out on here so dont hesitate to ask questions. TTT

Thanks so much! All we have around here is a Gearhead. Do you think they will be able to help?

hey!
how are you getting on?
im in the middle of sanding my bike down, alot alot of effort! but will be worth it! any guys got any ideas how to make my bike more 'ratrod'?!?
and, out of curiousity, why do y'all love the rust?? my bikes at http://www.cskips.tumblr.com

For a seat or seat cover that is similar in vintage style try Budget Bicycle Center. I just bought a seat that would look very much like the one you have now. Or you could just get a similar cover for even cheaper. They have them in blue, green, red and black with white trim.

cskips said:
hey!
how are you getting on?
im in the middle of sanding my bike down, alot alot of effort! but will be worth it! any guys got any ideas how to make my bike more 'ratrod'?!?
and, out of curiousity, why do y'all love the rust?? my bikes at http://www.cskips.tumblr.com

Well I'm still in the removing the rust stage right now! LoL! I don't have just a whole lot of time and my bike isn't kept at my house so sometimes it is hard to find time. I'm enjoying it alot though!

devilduckie said:
For a seat or seat cover that is similar in vintage style try Budget Bicycle Center. I just bought a seat that would look very much like the one you have now. Or you could just get a similar cover for even cheaper. They have them in blue, green, red and black with white trim.

I will try them! Thanks so much!

Back