My first build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dudes
after surfing the forums for a for a few weeks ive decided i need to build a bike. Being low on money like usual i decided to use the old road bike sitting in the garage as a starting point. the bike is of no use to me so i figure it would be a good one to learn the mechanics of a bike and such.

anyway heres what ive started with. a Nashiki custom sport road bike.

the plan:
strip it down to nothing
no brakes
fixed gear
spend very little money

this is how it sits now

That is coming out really cool!
I take it you are not on the tall side, looks like that was a small frame bike originally and turning the bars around would make it feel even smaller... Looks awesome!

Luke.

two spot said:
Looks nice. Is that a JEEPSTER COMMANDO I spy? A buddy of mine had one of those. Those are so awesome.

Regards,

sure is. its a 73 so its got the bull nose and the last year of the Commando. good eye from just the tail light...most people have no clue what it is

heya benthethrash

nice work for a first build.
simple and low budget is the only way i build all my bikes.
i think you got it spot on the red wheels look great and you use what you got.
that's exactly what rat rodding is about making it all work with whats in the garage.
if you are interested in building more bikes what i do is i look for people who have junk bikes sitting around and i offer them a fixed amount for the entire lot
that's how i got all my parts i think i spent maybe 40 dollars on everything i got including my brand new 29 er.
i love this site personally lots of cool people and if you get stuck there's always someone who is willing to help you out and get you moving again.
good luck with you're build and let us se more of it.
i caught the rat rod bike bug a couple years ago and i don't ever wanna be cured lol.
Sean

thanks for the words of encouragement man. me and my family are no strangers to rat rodding and pretty much modifying anything on wheels so it was only natural to move onto a bicycle. i actually just picked up a old Galaxy Flyer today for $40 bucks off Cl. in my little research its a bike they sold at sears in the 60s and 70s. pretty cool to me. im trying to restrain myself from digging into it before i finish the Nashiki

that's areally good find for 40 bucks!!!
very clean and a little oiling on the chain an d it looks like ti is ride able
i hear you on not starting too many projects i have 3 going at the moment.
those canti frames make good bases for customizing and most parts are interchangeable on them with other bikes
you might even be able to run a 26x3 wheel set on that with little effort.
good start to a fun hobby.
keep us informed on what you do im sure i speak for everyone when i say we are curious and we all love to see peoples ideas come to life
sean

Nice to see someone from my area. :) I recognized the Galaxy Flyer from the DSM CL. I like it, but I tend more toward original bikes, 60s and 70s. Good job on getting it for a good price.
Lot of good info on this board! Good luck on your build!

the tires on the flyer are both rotted though. was looking at 26x3 white walls for it just random add ons wth metal and stuff i have sitting in the garage..i think a fuzzy seat with a racoon tail might have to happen as well.

Garrysr said:
Nice to see someone from my area. :) I recognized the Galaxy Flyer from the DSM CL. I like it, but I tend more toward original bikes, 60s and 70s. Good job on getting it for a good price.
Lot of good info on this board! Good luck on your build!

sweet its always cool to find locals in forums! any vintage bike clubs in the area you know of? id love to see a few custom bikes in person

Back