My first build: The Greek Guv'nor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you may know, I have a nice Basman, which is getting nicer and making me nervous about leaving it around town. So time for my first "real" build (no welding, etc.. so its not really a build compared to some of the amazing stuff on here)

So enter my first mountain bike, bought in 1990, ragged till 1996 and then abandoned in my parents garage until this summer.

6210506007_abc1098f81_b_d.jpg

In a pityful state, complete with buckled rims and awful 80's paintjob :D
Took her apart to get this:

6210506147_d2224fac9b_b_d.jpg

The fork was rusty and creaking like heck, the chain was rusted solid and I thought about using some spares from the "upgrades" to my GFs Sparker and my Basman, so kept the frame only.

Started collecting parts to have a Guv'nor lookalike (with a few tweeks) with my 3 speed Nexus and the drum braked front Basman wheel. The rear rim from the Basman was kept too. Here is a list of the stuff obtained from few different sources (Classic-cycle.de, chainreactioncycles.com, velosolo.co.uk, ebay)
Lasco 44t 3-piece crank
Tange sealed bearing BB
Wellgo Pedals
semi-dragbars
Oury grips
Kaloy Quill Stem
Tange Threaded Headset
Schwalbe Fat Franks in Cream
Front Fork
and various bits and pieces.

Had the frame glass bead blasted and powder coated in black.

Here is most of the stuff:
6210310653_9cb8210c20_b_d.jpg

6210318121_05659a4f2a_b_d.jpg

So yesterday, did a quick mock-up, and it looks pretty cool :D

6210943132_a65a32ef50_b_d.jpg

6210943080_6bfc2533a4_b_d.jpg

Still waiting for my chain and pedals to arrive from Chainreaction and my birthday present from my lovely girlfriend (a Brooks B17 :D :D )
Going to my friendly LBS this afternoon to get the headset cups fitted as I couldn't use my bench vice (wouldn't open enough) and my old technique of using a book and hammer to slam them in didn't work.

Hope you like it. 8)

Sorry about the phone pics

Back