My first attempt at Craigs List

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I placed an add for a 71 Ross girls ten speed for $200 a very clean one at that, I have a response for for paying the full price + 50 for holding it as the buyer lives in South Carolina she wants to send a cashiers check to my mailing address (no po boxes) but thats where I get my mail and my phone number (its in the add) and she said she would arrange all the shipping and pay expenses.Now what should I be careful for,and the address thing I dont know what to do any experiences you can relate are welcome thanks Jim
Gold Street Customs

Definitely wait until you get the check and it clears your bank account. This is how a lot of people scam you, they write you a check and cancell it before you cash it and get a free bike. In the future put local pickup with cash only.

its a scam i have heard.
i have had it happen to me and i ignored it.
talked to quite a few people who had similar experiences.

Yep, scam. Move onto next buyer.

CL is full of this kind of thing. At least they have finally stuck up something about the well known car scams. Deal locally, with cash and hopefully you can't go wrong.

Ignore any craigslist reply that is vague or not local, and anything with creative financing.

I strongly urge you to back out of the deal. Even if the cashier's check clears you might still have problems.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

# DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

# NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

# FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

# CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

# NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

# AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

I recently posted an ad and got a similar response, offering me xtra to hold it, and wait to til the check clears, but they'd be outta town and someone else would be picking it up, blah blah blah... Each email I got about it I asked the person to call me, like it said in my ad, and each time I'd get another message. I just told them that I ignored scam artists, and never heard from them again...

I SELL BIKES AND PARTS ALL THE TIME ON CRAIG'S LIST AND EVERY ADD I POST I GET ONE PERSON THAT TRYS THAT SCAM ITS ALWAYS A MONEY ORDER OR PERSONAL CHECK IF YOU GET ANY THING LIKE THAT DON'T RESPOND TO IT. I HATE WHEN THEY DO THAT AND IF THEY EMAIL YOU THAT AND NOT CALL THEN ITS A SCAM FOR SURE I DEAL WITH IT ABOUT ONCE A MONTH

i just giver them the number and address to the police station. i figure it will help them get caught sooner hopefully.the name i give is annie copper LOL!

Back