My finished 2012 Electra Coaster 1 (update with parts list)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pics of my finished 2012 Electra Coaster 1.

RR CB 1 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 2 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 3 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 4 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 5 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 6 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 7 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 8 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 9 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 10 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 11 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

RR CB 12 by qualitycustom6061, on Flickr

Re: My finished 2012 Electra Coaster 1

... thanks much. @ DutchGhost... the ape hangers are a bit deceiving. They are Nirve brand "Super Ape Hangers" and are actually no longer available. They measure 23" tall. You will note they are very narrow at the clamp section (similar to BMX type bars) and are also very narrow as they travel upward. I'm not really an ape hanger bar fan myself. However, the Electra Cruiser/Coaster models have a long head tube/sit fairly high at the front and the seat stays sort of run "downhill" quickly at the back. I was just trying to create a more enthusiastic "low at the back/high at the front within a short wheelbase" sort of look.

The wheelset is my build. I used Cycles U.S. black anodize 24" x 2.5" wheel hoops (36 hole) front and back, your everyday Shimano coaster hub at the rear and silver Formula hub at the front. Natural stainless steel spokes (hand rubbed with good 'ol Nevr-Dul one at time) and laced radially front and back... and of course Felt Bikes 24" x 3" Thick Brick tires.

Re: My finished 2012 Electra Coaster 1

The Parts List:

Frame: Electra Coaster 1 (stock/aluminum). Stripped and left raw/"as is". No clearcoat, no protectants.
Fork: Electra Coaster 1 (stock/steel).
Headset: 1" threaded (stock)
Kickstand: Electra Coaster 1 (stock)

Bottom bracket: White Industries 68mm x 113mm (stainless steel spindle)
Crankset: White Industries ENO x 170mm
Chainring: White Industries 44t
Pedals: Point One Racing "Podium"
Chain: SRAM 3/32" - 6/7/8 speed - gray

Rear wheel: Shimano coaster hub, 22t standard offset sprocket, Cycles U.S. 24" x 2.5" wheel hoop, natural stainless steel spokes, radial lace
Front wheel: Formula track hub, Cycles U.S. 24" x 2.5" wheel hoop, natural stainless steel spokes, radial lace
Tires: Felt Bicycles 24" x 3" Thick Brick front and rear

Quill stem adapter: Nitto MTC-04 (1" threaded to 1.125" threadless)
Stem: Fit Bike Co. "BF" topload BMX stem (51mm reach)
Stem/fork spacer: custom machined aluminum - 1.128" i.d. x 1.250" o.d. x 1.200" long (covers up stem adapter, sets consistent bar height).
Handlebars: Nirve "Super Ape Hangers" (23" tall and no longer available either chrome or black). I do have a second chrome set new.
Grips: ODI Ruffian "lock-on"

Seatpost collar: Thomson
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2mm
Seat: Brooks England B67

Jinkey's! that's a hot bike. I've always wanted to do an updated cruiser with top of the line (i.e. lighter) components and big fatty wheels/tires. Alas, I'm a poor little feller. I've used the Nirve handlebars on two different bikes and love them.
How does it ride?
Honestly, super-amazing bike. Good enough to sell to mass market for people with expendable incomes.

jeff

@ ratdaddy... I certainly appreciate your feedback. I too have had this vision for a couple of years now and it was time to make it happen. Certainly there are others, but I have always felt both the Electra Cruiser and Coaster models just have that "classic" beach cruiser style to them and there is something about the long head tube. My choosing the aluminum Coaster version had more to do with the bottom bracket and the "heavy" weld beads common to aluminum (just looks more "husky"). My original plan was to have the frame and fork shot in "Hot Rod Black". However, that changed early on in the frame stripping process. I did absolutely nothing to the frame except strip it with Klean-Strip "Aircraft Paint Remover"... all of the random surface prep was done during manufacture.

The project began with the purchase of the stock bicycle Mar. 29, 2012 and became what you see in the photos July 15, 2012. This is my first build. I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to stop until I had every single part that makes up this bicycle. Patience goes a long way as well. I didn't encounter any real problems with the build, though I did wait five weeks for the pedals upon ordering. The only custom part is the stem/fork spacer. Otherwise, all of it can simply be purchased and bolted together... and that was the main goal.

How does it ride?.. I don't know - todd

"The price of progress is trouble" - Smokey Yunick

Latest posts

Back