my "fast" bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i love to ride to school, that being said -now that the semester is drawing to an end, i dont need to transport my working models, supplies and other stuff for school. next semester ive got a full boat of various design classes that will require me to have a lot of supplies. i was inspired by the "thrid bike" build, and i figured that i would make my old nishiki road bike in to more of a vintage style commuter town style bike with room for all my stuff. since my classes are at night, i need some lighting too, along with rack/bag space. i have some of those lovely little secret horse saddle bags on the way and i picked up a old blackburn front rack for a song.

now dont get me wrong, i love riding my old 38 hawthorne and 50 speigel but getting that bike to move faster than cruising speed is a little taxing.

here is the bike before-
DSC_0042Medium.jpg

DSC_0046Medium.jpg

nothing special.

i went to the paint aisle at osh and got my inspiration
IMG_0278.jpg

the paint came out good, but its still far from great, as i see it, this thing is going to get bashed around, why waste my time, at this point i just wanted to ride. i had also discovered that the non drive side pedal had been basically jb welded in to place. re-tapped it and its all good. i dipped in to my parts bin and got a few more goodies.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

when the saddle bags arive, ill throw them on there and see how they do, im honestly very excited about them. ive also got some left over old heat wrap for the headders of my mc that i want to wrap either the seat post tube or the lower rear stays. i also want a set of newer wheels with roller bearings, im tired of adjusting these ........ every time take them on and off. ive got a few more tricks up my sleeve so ill be updating

Nice bike.. I was considering the side bag commuter route on my Miyata. So I will see how yours turns out. Where did you get those tires? I am looking for some with Blue sidewalls.

Looks great for a beater. I like the rack and light combo and simple two tone paint. Are those tires redwall from the factory or did you paint that on?

the redwalls are really cheap chinese tires, i got them at my local bike shop. they were 10 bucks for a set of 2..

ive seen them pop up at a few bike shops in the la area, they do have blue walls.

lobsterboyx said:
the redwalls are really cheap chinese tires, i got them at my local bike shop. they were 10 bucks for a set of 2..

ive seen them pop up at a few bike shops in the la area, they do have blue walls.
?!?!? ten for two? I nned blue ones! Can you give me any info on a bike shop that might ship them?

that looks great. i like front racks.

got the front bags on, i just need a few more plastic clips to hold the bottom in place, good pictures later on

thinking about ordering a set for the back, but first i need a rack that will look good back there.

im also thinking about adding a second bar, and a rear fairing/tool box between the down tube and the stays...

heres a 2 minute photoshop
IMG_0293.jpg

dan
if you are going to be going fast on this bike please do yourself a favor and move the position of the brake lever close to your grips :!: :)

Back