My Dyno Glide...what should I do (if anything)?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new member here.

It's a gorgeous day here (clear blue sky, sun shining down very strong, etc.) so I took some new shots of my Dyno cruiser. I've had it for about seven or so years. I put them in a gallery, which you can view here.

I've recently removed the "gas tank", fenders and chainguard and I've really come to like the leaner, "stripped-down" look quite a bit. And it may be completely psychological, but I swear it rides easier now and doesn't feel so "tank-like" (but I don't think the total weight loss was more than a pound or so, so I'm probably just imagining things). Here's a photo from before the "stripping", and it looks like a big ol' deluxe Cadillac in comparison, with all that stuff on!

I'd briefly toyed with a different paintjob, but seeing this thing out in the sun today after a long while has convinced me "the color is just fine".

Two things I know I want to do, no matter what: new brown seat (I just like brown cruiser seats...looks older and more "appropriate" somehow) and some metal/shiny pedals.

As for the overall "look", that's what I'd like to hear some input/suggestions on. I've got two ways I can go with this, both of which "speak to me" (and I'd feel comfortable with either one, as they both "fit me"):

- Go "beach-y" or retro and simply add white grips to the big moon bar and a nice gleaming springer fork (and there will be a brown seat there as well, remember). Keep the whitewalls (but do these look too "knobby"?...should they be slicker/smoother for that sort of look?)

or

- Go more "hot rod" or "mean" with it: all black "drag slicks" (racier/sportier) and perhaps some sort of ape-hanger type of bars and some chrome-colored grips? Less "Jan & Dean" and more "Link Wray", I guess you could say.

:wink:

The body color and style seems to lend itself to both approaches. It's just tires/handlebar/grip type of thing.

Just curious what others think, and some opinions or advice.

And if "do nothing, leave it like it is" is your honest opinion, then that would be cool to hear too!

:)

It felt nice getting some of that "canned" trim off, and the bike feels a bit more "relaxed" now. So I'm not really looking to put all that stuff back on, but I would consider a rear fender (perhaps even bobbed?) if it looked right. I'm not a fan of those scalloped factory pinstripes, so I'd probably use the front fender on the back, cut off the front stripes and have the flared duck-tail sitting at about 12:00 on the rear wheel...IF I went back with a fender. But the tank and chainguard are NOT going back on...

Welcome.
Nice bike. I really liked it before you stripped it but I can understand needing a change.
I think you are on the right track. Get rid of the black seat and grips and different whitewalls with a street tread.
Maybe a Brooks saddle and some brown grips (maybe brooks even has grips) and Schwinn typhoon cord white walls. That would all add up to some bucks though.

Back