my bikes making a wierd sound...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd usually rather ride vintage bikes, but one of my favorite bikes I have is my 2010 Schwinn Legacy cruiser. But lately it's been making a scraping sound every time I apply the brakes. I checked to see if something was stuck in between the brake pads and the rims and saw nothing. I have no idea what the problem is. Do you guys have any ideas?

The Bike's only a year or so old, so i sure hope I don't have to replace the pads... Thanks for the suggestions though! :D

hold one wheel off the ground and spin it by hand, apply the brake and watch and listen carefully for the sound.
No sound?, try the other wheel. You will find it.

Sounds to me like a brake adjustment is in your future.

Obviously! I meant a cleaning type thing... I hear there's some kind of grease that cleans and actually makes the brakes grip better.

The caliper, I believe should have a little give so that it isn't perfectly static. I don't know much about hand brakes but if they're very tight, they may make a hum.

Sometimes contact between the tire and brake pad can make a nasty sound. Also check the rim for pad material build up. There is automotive rubber "lube" used to maintain window and door weather stripping that can be used to rejuvenate bicycle brake pads, but don't leave a coating, wipe it on and then rub it off. If you try this, check your brakes hard before you hit the street.

Simple green works good for rims too and then take sand paper to the pads theylle prob squeal like crazy for a bit but man they will stop !

Back