My $37 1954 Schwinn Ladies balloon tire!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom found the pair of bikes at a moving sale along with a box of parts.

One bike was a 1979 Schwinn Spitfire. Done.
p4pb7846497.jpg

OK, change of plan. The other bike I have that I was planning on doing up was a 1968 Speedster. I got a 1954 Schwinn Ladies balloon tire bike for $37 today from the owner of the shop I work at. Not quite sure what exactly it is. It has a skip tooth drivetrain, tank, and fenders.

Re: My 1968 Speedster Project

You might try "Meguiar's Scratch X" It's a polishing compound and high gloss finish, like a wax. I've had good luck with it, I got it at NAPA. That's a sweet bike!

I like to use Turtle Wax ICE clear liquid on bike frames.
The main reason is that it does not turn white and end up in all the nooks and crannys of your bike frame.
It's also easy and fast, you don't have to polish it off like regular wax.

I Never knew you where on this site ... looks good in a bigger pic i can actually see the patina paint job...looks sweet 8)

I work in a bike shop that carries Trek. I ordered the last redline Hanks that were available at the time. They do have a ton in each warehouse (NJ, CA, WI) currently. If you want the ones with the red stripes, the part number on Trek's dealer site is 261322. If you want the plain black walls, the part number is 89298.

Thanks a lot for the compliments! I'm really happy with the way the bike turned out.

Here are some more pics of the Spitfire.

p4pb7846505.jpg

p4pb7846514.jpg

p4pb7846501.jpg

p4pb7846509.jpg

Slight change of plans. Pictures are on the way. It's a verrrryyy crusty bike. Just what I wanted :D :D

Thanks.

Here is today's catch. Enjoy.

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9319.jpg

It does have a little bit of corrosion.... :D This baby is getting new spokes.

IMG_9303.jpg

Plenty more pictures, so if there is something you want to see, I probably have it and can post it for you.

Fixed the img links. Today I may take the wheels with me to the shop and cut the spokes.

Nice! As is, they kind of remind me of old barbed wire.

...., another thread I'm subscribed to.

Pretty cool to see people's bikes take on a second life. Thanks for pictures!

Anybody know what length spokes the S2 rim and New Departure hub would use? Not sure of model on the hub.

How do you figure? You can't just go to a shop and say I need a spoke for a 26" wheel. Hahaha

Just sent some pictures to the local chrome plater for an estimate. Thinking about having the cog, chainring, crank, hub shell, and coaster brake arm rechromed. The decision will be made when I receive a quote. It is probably going to be too much coin than the bike is worth, but we'll see. Maybe I'll be surprised.

I just wanted to post some more before pictures. It is coming along very nicely. This thing is a lot more work than the Spitfire... That thing didn't have truss rods, fenders, a tank, a chainguard, a repulsive coat of rust on everything, or seized bolts galore.

IMG_9318.jpg

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

lildietz said:
Anybody know what length spokes the S2 rim and New Departure hub would use? Not sure of model on the hub.

from memory - 280 mm or 10&5/8 inches using 4cross pattern

I calculated the spoke length today. It will be 263mm with the New Departure Model D laced 3x up to a 36h rim with an ERD of 549.

Back