My 1959 Schwinn Tornado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all of the Vintage bikes I own, this is now my favorite. It was a basket case when I got the frame and fork and the paint was beyond bad. I then had it sandblasted and decided to go with Cherry Red by Krylon. I was told that a Schwinn Middleweight would ride better than a comparable Schwinn Balloon Tire bike and I was skeptical until I got this one together and took it for its shakedown ride. Unbelievable. Rides as good as a Cadillac and far more affordable! :mrgreen:

DSCF0190-2.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

sweet ride ,very nice job restore i got one in the rafters you"ve inspired me to get on it thanx ! 8)

she's a looker........very clean and tasteful.............i really like it..........awesome work friend......

Looks cool man im really diggin the color.
I have one question, does your seat squeak when your cruisin down the road? And if it does do you have a way to fix it? The only reason i ask is because i have like that and it sqeaks, make me crazy. O.K maybe two questions

Looks like it could be an Electra seat - I have one in black I replaced because the sqeaking drove me nuts !
Am curious too if there is a fix. Great bike btw, I'm really digging that red 8)

Thanks for the nice compliments! :D

@ Maddogrider - I have other Electra seats that squeak as you have experienced. For some reason this one doesn't - yet. :wink: I've have heard that putting a light coating of grease on the springs will stop the squeak for about a month at which time you will have to do it again. I haven't tried it myself.

@ sensor - You almost called it right. I had every intention of painting it black to make it look like a Model T, but I couldn't find a black rim wheel set anywhere (unless I purge a set from my other bikes), so I was forced to go with what was available. So I'm standing in the paint aisle at Ace Hardware and I suddenly realize that there are other colors in the world so I decided to go with Cherry Red. I'm glad as the color turned out pretty good.

I could have used the correct chain ring (cloverleaf) for the purists out there but felt the 5 Hearts chain ring just looked better - more grown up perhaps?

Latest posts

Back