mx bikes lets see them

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am currently building a 70's mx bicycle made by otasco and am kind of curious if anyoen else has any of these cool bikes.this one is rough but i will make her pretty again she will not be original but i am keeping the tank plastics she has diferent wheels since the picture ( see build thread herehttp://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-little-old-school-bmx-flavor-done-up-rat-style.97406/) so while i am building this up i am wondering what haave you guys n gals my fellow rrbers done to these bikes to make them yours?
please share your babies with me so i can get inspiration on what to do with mine i have a few ideas but am always open which is why i created this thread. as always anyone can post and feel free to comment i feel liek i am 12 all over again with this thing ( and boy is she ehavy my back still hurts lol ) so i will share my baby with you and you show me yours

I had a little different twist on this - I used a lot of parts from that era, but went with frames that were a little bit older. The first one I found was a '41 Colson 20 double bar frame that I saw, liked and paid WAY too much for! It was then shipped by the seller who stated he was an amateur... and proved it. It was shipped in two boxes, and neither was cut down in any way. The frame box had enough room in it for two other frames. The other box had the wheels, handlebars and seat. If that box had been two inches longer, the frame would have been able to go in it as well as perhaps an M1 tank. Oh well... I really liked the frame.
Heres the bike:
20 C01576.jpg

06 41 Colson 20 BMX.JPG

The second one was a '47 CWC frame that I thought was really cool, but the wonderful Savage Baggage Masters from the Untied Parcel Service nearly ruined in shipping. (Yes, Untied... as in loosely wrapped) This one used some more of the same parts as the other... I must like 'em for some reason. The front wheel was bent nearly 90 degrees, the fork was shoved back and the fender, and front wheel & fender now were against the down tube. The rear fender and wheel were very close the the same as the front. The box looked like it fell from a very high place (maybe 40,000 feet?). UPS said it was improperly boxed.... I've had a lot of others come through boxed in the same bike box type and most of them made it just fine. I was glad I wasn't planning on using the fork! I had to cut it to get it off. The Colson has the same type grips on it now. I could not find any when I was building it.
The bike:
20 E55396.jpg

07 47 CWC 20 BMX.jpg

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

awesome i like those ideas yeah sometimes the post office just doesn't care about what their shipping thats why i don't like to ship any delicate stuff but ti looks like you made the ebst out of both situations excellent work my friend

This was a 1969 Sears Spyder Muscle bike I bought last spring. I converted it into a MX flat tracker. I added a loaf style seat and under seat mounted sissy bar. The forks were a pair of Rhino's that were too short for a 20" wheel so I cut them and had my neighbor take them to his shop where he sleeved the outside with stainless steel and welded which increased the length 4". I added a Fastback wheel, a pair of XLC mountain bike handle bike bars with some old school grips and a longer neck.
DSCN1969.jpg

DSCN1979.jpg

This was a 1969 Sears Spyder Muscle bike I bought last spring. I converted it into a MX flat tracker. I added a loaf style seat and under seat mounted sissy bar. The forks were a pair of Rhino's that were too short for a 20" wheel so I cut them and had my neighbor take them to his shop where he sleeved the outside with stainless steel and welded which increased the length 4". I added a Fastback wheel, a pair of XLC mountain bike handle bike bars with some old school grips and a longer neck.
DSCN1969.jpg

DSCN1979.jpg
awesome build man!!! i like it alot especially the front end work that takes skill i could never do to make them look that good if you didn't mention it i would have assumed they were never lengthened very nice conversion. excellent job my friend

i just realized i did not post mine after i started the post so let me post mine it is a 1975 ithink otasco flying o qualifier pretty much stock except the wheels my plan is to "ratstore" it which is my own lil terminology for restomod only using different parts and making it look good. here is mine and the wheels i have on it now i have the rear fender en route
19589_06b3ac17d027ddd2d1cd7a25ea2d5b99.jpg
20707_acededcd249362968427342b1468ff35.jpg
20708_6f95b8cedc32db04222891d375ee4f66.jpg
20709_2670f1d5995f545ebfa85387de3aea31.jpg
20710_38c0146993807d1e5f97ffc9829a022f.jpg

i just realized i did not post mine after i started the post so let me post mine it is a 1975 ithink otasco flying o qualifier pretty much stock except the wheels my plan is to "ratstore" it which is my own lil terminology for restomod only using different parts and making it look good. here is mine and the wheels i have on it now i have the rear fender en route
View attachment 21062 View attachment 21063 View attachment 21064 View attachment 21065 View attachment 21066
also the rear tire is now fixed and inflated

Would love to see some MX style builds in the next Muscle bike build-off, might have to adjust the rules slightly in the Class 2 area to accommodate them! :thumbsup:

Luke.
Maybe. Isn't class 2 kind of anything goes?
If you consider a loaf seat as a type of banana seat, and look at the graco having a 22"x20" wheelset; that's two of the three rules.:thumbsup:

But loaf seat as a banana seat is up to interpretation, but could still fit in class 2. I'd love to have something like my graco in adult size, and I just happen to have a great start to build one.:39:

Dangit Luke, you got me thinking.

Would love to see some MX style builds in the next Muscle bike build-off, might have to adjust the rules slightly in the Class 2 area to accommodate them! :thumbsup:

Luke.
that would be awesome to see some mx bikes built up my only regret is i already began building mine and their kinda tough to find around these parts but yeah that would be sweet

This is my childhood bike. It was converted to three speed which made lugging around such a heavy bike much more fun.
silverfox1_zpsff4e7b3d.jpg
man thats acool looking bike!!! never seen one like that before it just goes to show people back in the day were soc rafty and deserve respect they had such an amazing vision and didn't just throwa bunch of plastic ina tank and hit create a bike and poof a bike is born i love these old mx bikes and there is some amazing exmples in this post wish i could have one of all of them the 3 speed conversion is a good diea my lil mx is very heavy and i feel like i got ran over with a steamroller after i ride it

Back