Murray Monterey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CL find...$20. 1992 Murray Monterey

Cleaned 'er up, threw on some apes & grips, gonna be a Christmas present for one of my brother in laws who wanted a simple cruiser...

100_1288.jpg

I had one of those last year, except red. picked up mine for $30 and it looked brand new. A good simple cruiser for the money, and they seem plentiful. I ended up giving it to a friend who wanted a cruiser after seeing my collection. Like what you did with yours!

Thanks. This one the pic doesn't do justice to as well.....when I saw it I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. I love old Murrays, especially US built ones like this one.

yeah, im feelin the murray too. got 7 cruisers and two of them are murrays. an 86' monterey i converted to a 5speed with derailleurs and sidepulls, and the other an 93' westport (like a monterey but with fenders and red) whick i use as a backup commuter bike (daily is a 62' schwinn american cruiser heavyduty). some people talk down on them, but i like em. they make great bikes to build up too.

Murrays were great bikes.

Here's my 1971 Diamond frame 5 speed, restored a few years ago. I've had it since new, must have at least 3000 miles on it. It has been repainted, but all the chrome you see including the wheels is the original stuff. Even I was shocked at how well it cleaned up. The pic doesn't really show how nice it stayed.

100_0294-1.jpg

And this is my wife's 1985 Murray. It originally was a 10 speed friction shift with drop bars. She said NO, so it's now got the touring bars and a Shimano period correct internal 3 speed with the twist grip shift. It was that 80's "pinkish lavender" color....that was a no as well. I like her current color choice.

100_1068.jpg

Some people forget who REALLY made the Spaceliners that are so popular.....Murray!

My brother in law and his Christmas present....Miami FLA Christmas 2008. I don't think he's got off the bike yet. He liked his Christmas present!!!

100_1294.jpg

Hey, he's happy, I'm happy.

great gift!!! i got a cruiser for christmas too and i can't get off it either.
IMG_0770.jpg

so what that it is a new 08', i still dig it. whenever i get the time, i can't help to ride the gift that keeps on giving.

sweet apes on that murray. thats the next mod i should do one one or two of my old cruisers.

Back