Murray Build. My first rat rod Bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my Build thread. Step one old columbia bike....CHECK!

I'm trying to keep this on a budget but, plans include 3 speed coaster brake hub, Red Balloon Tires, and I'm deciding wether or not to repaint it satin Black or leave as is.I like the look of the seat but maybe would like a seat post that will move it back a little. I also want some bullet headlights and maybe a tank for it. Not sure how available tanks are for this.... anyone know?

My goal this weekend is to put on the new tires and clean it up a bit for riding and possibly trim and paint the fenders.
Off to the bike shop on Saturday.

IMG_1762.jpg

Re: Early 60's Columbia Cantilever

Well the Head badge says columbia....?? Are they the same company? Could it have been added?
Either way I Can't wait to get going on this thing!

Re: Early 60's Columbia Cantilever

:? looks like a murray with columbia fenders & rear rack.? anywho good start for a rat bike !

Re: Early 60's Columbia uhhh...Murray?

Well yanked the fenders and definitely going to move the seat back some by modding the post. But got the red tires on with new tubes from Ray at vintage bike warehouse.
I think after working out the bugs and getting everything the way I want it, it will be time to repaint. But first to make sure everything is working well. Still debating if I should keep the rear rack on or just go with the shortened fenders?

IMG_1794.jpg

Re: Early 60's Columbia uhhh...Murray?

i just bought an old double top bar murray frame. the dropouts and bottom front tube
are the same as yours. def. a murray.

Well its been forever since I have posted, but Y'know how the holidays and winter go!
Bout time to start getting going on this thing. I thin I willl get the paint stripper out and get the frame all cleaned up then ready for paint. I have a plan worked out for paint and the fenders on this thing I think will be pretty cool. Nothing too crazy like welding or stretching, but hey this is my first tyr and I'll start out slow!

Hopefully progress in the next few weekends! :mrgreen:

Well still haven't stripped the paint. Weather has been pretty rainy! I did mark the fenders where I want to bob them and have been thinking about how I'm going to prep everything. Also I have been making plans for the trailer I intend to pull the kids in. I'm going to modify a canvas style dual kiddie trailer a friend gave me. I think it will look really cool when its done! I was given the idea to make it look like a t-bucket and the kids can hold a wheel and look like they are driving. :)

Finally ble this thing apart and the frame is in the powder coat shop! Hoping it gets done in time for the suzie burger show on the 14th.

Got the frame back form powder coating it looks pretty good, but next time I will probably just paint it myself. Now that its been all cleaned I can read the serial number M06 005020 on one side and N6847557 on the other. From what I can find online that makes it a 66? Also this was on the head not the drop out or crank area, not sure what the rest of the serial means the decoder isn't super clear on that. I'm going to finish putting it back together soon I can't wait. post pics of the progress soon...

Finally some progress! Thanks to Vintage Bicycle Supply for the sweet new parts (springer, crank, chain) I hope to have this thing together soon!

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

My ratrodbikes.com nameplate came super quick! Can't wait to use that thing as the head badge!

Screwed up my head tube install cut it too short! Mike at Vintage bicycle supply came through and helped me get it right! Hoping to have this puppy together for a test ride this week! :)

Well finally finished about a month ago and FINALLY took some pics! Already planning my next bike I should be picking it up Thursday!

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

Back