Murray Barn Finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted an old Murray beach bike for a long time. Always liked the look of them. A guy threw up a pair of old Montereys on CL Saturday night where they were cleaning out the family barn. Listed for 50 but i got them both for 20. Pretty rusty but solid old bikes. Out of the two i salvaged the girls and it rides great. The mans is rough . Rotted tires plus somebody hacksawed thru the frame to rob the chain. Anyone know a year?

za21-1.jpg

za17.jpg

Post serial number off bottom bracket.

Sum1 will know then.

Looks early 60's tho.

I couldnt locate any numbers so i was hopeing the decals might tell us an about year. Heres an old Murray i bought for 20 last year. After painting i think it sold for 30 to a guy who was shipping it to Russia to his mom. Note the rear fender isnt as long as the others.

100_3238.jpg

100_3281.jpg

wheelhorseman said:
I couldnt locate any numbers so i was hopeing the decals might tell us an about year. Heres an old Murray i bought for 20 last year. After painting i think it sold for 30 to a guy who was shipping it to Russia to his mom. Note the rear fender isnt as long as the others.

I learned that on Murrays the length/size of fenders doesn't indicate year, just how they wanted to equip/differentiate the bike that year. I had a 1976 Murray Skybolt with short shallow chrome fenders, and a 1979 Murray Monterey with long deep/wide painted fenders. Exact same frames.

1976:
bolt1.jpg

1979:
IMG_5031.jpg

That one you painted yellow was around from 1995-1996 because of the chainguard decal design which was also before Murray changed the frames by using bigger tubes maybe around 1998 and went even more into the past by bringing back springer forks.

Good thing about Murray's using Wald parts is Wald usually has the year on them.

kngtmat said:
That one you painted yellow was around from 1995-1996 because of the chainguard decal design which was also before Murray changed the frames by using bigger tubes maybe around 1998 and went even more into the past by bringing back springer forks.

Good thing about Murray's using Wald parts is Wald usually has the year on them.

That ole bike wasnt that old but was very rusty. I got it from an older couple who took it on vacations to the beaches in Texas and all over where the salt air ate it up.

Latest posts

Back