Mr & Mrs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going to make these two customers very happy,Great job!I cant wait to see the finished product. :mrgreen:

MAN YOU WELDING CATS KILL ME !! GREAT JOB RATTER KEEP IT UP! PEACE

I´ll try your technique next time for sure, seems easier than manipulating the glass fibber (too messy). :?
Now sanding... it´s probably the thing I hate the most, in life! I could live without sanding, but I could never live without building, so there´s my dilemma :lol:

FatBoy said:
You are going to make these two customers very happy,Great job!I cant wait to see the finished product. :mrgreen:

I totally agree, I wish I was in the receivers list!

Galt those things are awesome I really like how the loops from chain stay to seat post tie in to the second bar and the trussed forks wow! I may have to copy those loops on something.

Thanks guys!! :D I hope they'll like the bikes! You know, when people order bikes from me I don't let them decide what the bikes will look like. I ask them if they want a cruiser or more of a racer, get the measurements I need to taylor the bike and then I start sketching from the ideas I get of how I'd like to make the bike in question. While the work progresses I'll sometimes ask about favourite colours and such things if I haven't already decided something specific that I'd like to try out. Those who asked me to build these two bikes wanted three-speed cruisers, that's all they know that they'll get. :lol: I found out that the guy who'll be getting Mr thinks that red and black is the most beautiful colour combination. He doesn't know that I'll be painting his bike black and red though. Anyway, what I was going to say is that if they don't like the finished bikes, I won't force them to buy them. I'll sell them elsewhere and make new ones. :) Oh, and Mrs will be white and red and the paint job on both bikes will be done with a little twist. :wink:

Gdcast: Do it! :) It's easier to sand down to a smooth surface with the extra coats of resin. They help to make the sanding dust less itchy too, because you dont sand down so much of the actual glass fibers. :)

XC204: Copy away!! :D I'm glad you like them and it would be really cool to see how you'll incorporate those in a build!

Here are some of the things I've done today:

Fender struts. Steel rods with washers welded to the ends.

Skrmstag.jpg

Here's a little hint of what Mrs will look like with fenders.

Skrmar1.jpg

I also started on the front fender for Mr and the reflectors, but I forgot to take photos. :roll:

I'll keep on buildin' tomorrow! :)

I have to be honest.
You metal fabricators and welders kind of piss me off :x . In a good way :oops: , but still. The skills I see on this site are amazing and across the board.

Beautiful work.

kingfish254 said:
I have to be honest.
You metal fabricators and welders kind of piss me off :x . In a good way :oops: , but still. The skills I see on this site are amazing and across the board.

Beautiful work.
HEY B!! I'LL SECOND THAT!! I'M JUST PRIMMING AND SLAPPING ON PAINT FOR SOMEONE. THIS IS ON A WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Thanks! It's a relief to know it's in a good way! :D
Sometimes all that's needed to make an ordinary bike look great is a coat of paint. ;)

XC204: Come to think of it, I was inspired by the forks on your Street Skinny Typhoon when I decided how to make the forks for these bikes. :) That Typhoon of yours is a beautiful bike, you did a great job with it!

Some of today's progress:

Thougt I'd take a couple of photos to show the two layers of the fenders. Here's the first layer, fiber glass, soaked with polyester and cured.

Skrmtillverkning1.jpg

Then the fiber glass is sanded down a little, just to get rid of the worst high spots and sharp fibers, and a piece of an old bed cover is stretched over the mold.

Skrmtillverkning2.jpg

After this second photo another coat of polyester resin was applied and when that has cured it'll be sanded down some, and yet another coat will be applied that will be sanded smooth. That's how I've made these fenders. Piece of cake!! :)

Here are the reflectors before sanding and paint.

Reflektorer.jpg

Rear light. I used threaded rivets this time, instead of welding nuts on the inside like I've done before.

Baklykta1.jpg

Baklykta2.jpg

The fenders for Mrs are almost ready for paint!

Skrmar2.jpg

That's all for today, we'll see what I'll manage to get done tomorrow! :)

Yeah, fiberglass is great for fenders! And chainguards...and lights... :D It's really quite simple I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and make the kind of fenders (or other stuff) you like. There might be more photos and explanations of how I've made my fenders in my other build threads, maybe you can get more tips there. If not, just drop me a line and I'll try my best to explain it for you if you want to. :)

Didn't do much today. :|

Sanded a bit more on the last fender and applied the second coat of polyester, but in my excitement I forgot to take photos. :mrgreen:
Then I test rode both bikes to see that everything worked the way it's supposed to, that the chainguard cleared the chain and so on. The gear wire for Mr was too short so I could only ride it in third gear, but it's a nice ride! Mrs is a rocket!!! :shock:

I didn't like the look of the original gear wire-guide on Mr, so I cut off the piece that the cable fits into and welded it on the frame.

Vajerledare.jpg

Here are both bikes as they are right now.

Bda.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go to town and buy some stuff that I need to finish the builds. I'm not sure how much building I'll have time for. But there's not much building left to do, only the front fender on Mr, then it's time for paint and seat covers and LED-circuits. :)

The rake on those front forks is AWESOME!!
I am soooooooooo jealous!

when i decide to tackle a fiberglass project i will definitely come to the master for some tips! also, looking back at your build, what gauge of sheet metal would you use for fabricating something like your chain guards?

keep up the awesome work!

Thanks guys! :)

kingfish254: The rake is in the neighborhood of 63 degrees. I like how the bike handles with a little more rake than a standard bike. It's less twitchy, rides smoother. Usually I lean the seat tube back about the same angle to get the pedals a little more forward. I think it's more comfortable that way and you don't have to stand up on the bike as much when going uphill, just pull on the bars and you get more power to the legs. 8)

Gdcast: I'm hoping they'll look finished real soon, 'cause deadline is approaching a little too fast for comfort. :lol:

sumnermclain: It's 0.9 mm. I'm afraid I don't know what that translates to in american standards. Anyway, I used the same gauge for both the chainguards and the front lights. I've tried 0.7 mm too, but I like 0.9 mm better. 0.7 is trickier to weld and seem to warp easier.

On to the build!

I've started to paint some parts.

Here are the fenders for Mrs with primer and the first coats of light red.

Mlat1.jpg

Here's the little twist I mentioned. I first saw this in a swedish custom motorcycle magazine, then I saw a bike here on RRB painted with this method (can't remember what bike it was but it was black and blue).

Lace!

Mlat2.jpg

After the lace was taped on and tied with string on the underside, I sprayed the fenders with a slightly darker red paint. Not a thick coat, more of a dusting to get a bit more subtle effect.

Mlat3.jpg

Mlat4.jpg

Then the chainguards got the same treatment.

Mlat5.jpg

Mlat6.jpg

The parts for the lights have been primered too, after some filler and...sanding. There are soooo many other things I'd rather do than mess with filler and sand it down...like for example walk barefoot on sharp pebbles. :roll:

Tomorrow I'll see if I can finish the last fender and paint some more.

duuuuuude. you build the way i dream of building! i have been thinking about lace paintjobs for my wifes bike for like a year now, haven't gotten around to it. Get out of my head! lol
its really coming around, can't wait to see more progress on the whippet too!
what other builds do you have on here?

Ohhh!!! That´s amazing my friend, I love the way that looks! :shock:

I totally sympathize with this statement: There are soooo many other things I'd rather do than mess with filler and sand it down...like for example walk barefoot on sharp pebbles. :lol: :lol:

Now tell me, what is that strange bike looking machine, camouflaged back in there??
Galtbacken said:

nice lace pattern i did the same on my wifes step through i built for her..but hers is one the top of the down tube..looking good man cant wait to see these 2 built and ready ride..im sure you are too...keep it up your almost there :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words everybody! :)

sumnermclain: Cool! It would be nice to see your take on a lace paintjob! :D Somewhere in the Whippet thread I've posted links to my previous builds if you'd like to see the other bikes I've made. And I'll try to stay out of your head. :lol:

Fireproof: I think that would look really cool! I follow your chopper build with great interest, you both have done amazing work on that bike!! 8)

Gdcast: Haha, that's a toy excavator that I used to play with over 30 years ago when I was a little kid and we spent the summers in the cabin. :D That's where my sandbox used to be. Now lingonberries have claimed that spot. :lol:

jaysmo: Cool! Do you have photos of that bike here on RRB? :) You bet I'd like to see these bikes finished! :D Only three days left before I have to go back to my studies and the weather doesn't seem to work with me. It rained during the afternoon today and the forecast says it'll be rainy the next couple of days. Looks like I'll have to paint between the showers and hope for the best.

Managed to paint some parts today before it started to rain.

Mlat7.jpg

Mlat8.jpg

Mlat9.jpg

I started on the seat covers too. I'll continue on those and I'm hoping of finishing them tomorrow. Finished the front fender for Mr today, and the only thing left to build for the bikes are the fender braces for it. I'll do that tomorrow as well. I've changed my goal a little, so that instead of trying to finish the bike and deliver them on sunday I'll try to finish painting and clearcoating all the parts and then I'll stripe the fenders and chainguards and assemble the bikes in the coming weeks when my study schedule allows.

lingonberries I love lingonberries never seen them growing though. They go with every thing! The bikes are just fantastic I like the white banding on fenders and chainguard.

Back