moutain bike conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys im trying to dive in to this game but before i do i need some advice :roll:
i was thinking of picking up an old no sus mtb
then puting on a lay-back seat and cruiser bars with some big tires?
single speed and one brake(back disc if i can get it) hooked up to a muscle shifter type thing but as a giant break leaver?

do you guys think this is posible & am i missing anything major?

thanks in advance!
nick

Completely doable and already been done, used a Redline Skookum frame, SS conversion kit, Titec el norte seatpost(looks like a gooseneck layback not made anymore), Schwinn bmx cruiser bars. Looks like a BMX cruiser overall.

A layback seatpost will require finding the right frame, there are about as many seatpost diameters as there are mtb makers for mtbs. That Titecc was a 27.2mm, lucked out and found it in a bargain bin at an LBS.

awsome :D sounds pritty nice. also good to know ill be able to ask for help when i get really stuck haha
i second the request for pics :)

I'll post some pics when I get home. The shifter shouldn't be too hard to do, someone on the forum has done similar, just need to watch the weight of the shifter so the return spring on the caliber doesn't get overwhelmed. Might need one on the shifter as well.

This is it, tires are 2.3" Maxxis Holy Rollers. DMR fork.

IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg

Wow that looks really nice bmx bars look the bizz!
I think i might find an old steel frame mtb like 90's hopefully a quill
Headset so i can use springer forks?

You can use a modern mtb frame with a 1 1/8" headtube then use heaset reducers to use a 1" headset, although there are 1/1/8" springers available like Felt's and or even the Schwinn style springers. It's easier to find layback seatposts for the old mtb frames with 1" seatpost though, but using shims for that is still an option and they are plentiful for that purpose.

I hear ya, alot of this stuff is harder to get over there and $$$ when you can. That springer is probably as good as you'll get, likely better than what's on ebay.

Yeah stuff is pritty rare over here lots of bmx's and mtb's few roadies/fixies bit far as i know im the only one into crusiers haha
kools have any idea if a springer will work with a quill type headset??

One thing you need to watch out for is the internal diameter of the steerer tube, some are 21.1mm, others 22.2mm. Both sizes of quill stems exist but you can shim the 21.1 into the 22.2 otherwise it'll be loose. Maybe get the fork first, Electra also has 2 versions of the springer steerer tube keep an eye on that versus the mtb.

Back