Mounting Nuvinci on 3"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already had the bike hour for a few hours today and it feels GREAT. For the first time I can just switch from absolute high to absolute low with NO resistance or noise. Feels great.

The chain is STILL skimming the tire, but I just ran it anyway. I'd rather just buy a new tire then put off riding it any longer.

I'm almost running into a problem with the Nuvinci CABLE lines! The Nuvinci shifter uses 2 cables - as I turn the shifter up and down, it pulls the other cable the opposite way. There is no EASY way to change the shifter line.

I had the bike out for a 3 hour run. Forgot to tighten the back down and the wheel started wedging against the chainstay. Luckily there was a Horrible Freight --- 1/2 mile away, to sell me an adjustible wrench. So now the bike works good, except that chain is still rubbing the tire. I hope when the machine shop opens tuesday (or some day this week) we'll be able to bend that frame up tight and clear the tire (that only has about 1/16" of room on both sides of chain-stay).

When I measured it myself, it looked like the tire was sitting about 3/8" to the LEFT. That concerns me. If I straighten the back out the tire moves more toward the chain and cause it to rub some more. So at this point, I need a 2nd set of eyes to help me bend whatever it takes to get this right.

There is a spacer between the rear cog, and the gearshift lines. If I move the spacer to the left, the rear sprocket moves about 1/8 to the right. Then the chain won't have enough clearance around the gearshift mechanism, unless I install a larger rear sprocket.

Did you take the wheel out and measure with string? There's a good chance that the rear triangle is "twisted;" skewed right on the lower stays, and left on the upper ones. Once you get it aligned dead-on, most of your issues should be gone....

No, I haven't totally aligned the rear yet. I understand the basic process, and I know my frame is out of alignment - i have to spread it apart 1/4 inch to get he hub in there.

Back