Mountain bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruh rohh!
crash.jpg

At least he didn't have clips! Once I was following a guy down a mountain. He was on a full suspension with clips, I was on a hardtail with flats nipping at his back tire. He went OTB, full Scorpion, with the bike smashing into his back when I hit it, because cantilever brakes just don't. He literally had to pull his chainring out of the back of his thigh where the teeth had dug in. He only laughed at RockRat in the parking lot before the ride...

I built this when I was 16 using my earnings from picking tobacco for a farm in town. Buying all the components at closeout prices from Nashbar saved me about half over buying at full price, and I still spent a bit over $1,600! Nashbar Access frame, RockShox Judy XC fork, Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes, full Alivio/Deore drivetrain, originally it wore 26x2.3" IRC Trailbear tires on triple wall rims. Eventually I downsized to 26x2.25". I miss this bike, I probably put thousands of miles on it. Built in 2002 for $1,600+ and I sold it for something like $375 in 2019.

As originally built:
0930181415a.jpg

The last year I owned it I added a ThudBuster seatpost:
0720201219.jpg

Progress shot of the rooftop carrier I was building for my car, with my wife's old MTB in the foreground. That bike was the precursor to the all-black bike I built, my dad gave it to me. It was a Huffy frame from K-Mart. The top tube and down tube were aluminum and all the rest was steel. Everything other than the frame and fork had been upgraded.
IMG_20180907_122011_025.jpg
2012-02-19_11-09-47_471.jpg

Last edited:
My current MTB is a 2019 Kona Mahuna, pretty much stock except for some dress up parts. This was my first step into a 29er and after riding it a few times I couldn't really ride my old MTB, it felt like I was riding a kid's bike, lol

The Kona is a 1x10 drivetrain, and has hydraulic disc brakes. I love the 1x10, but I miss my mechanical discs. Eventually I may "downgrade" the brakes, other than that I really love this bike.

PXL_20230805_151621620.jpg
IMG_20200425_114406_809.jpg
1129201405.jpg

Ruh rohh!View attachment 228182
At least he didn't have clips! Once I was following a guy down a mountain. He was on a full suspension with clips, I was on a hardtail with flats nipping at his back tire. He went OTB, full Scorpion, with the bike smashing into his back when I hit it, because cantilever brakes just don't. He literally had to pull his chainring out of the back of his thigh where the teeth had dug in. He only laughed at RockRat in the parking lot before the ride...
I have crossed a mountain stream in just this manner. This is an example of great form. However I flipped over the front handlebar and for some reason I always tuck and roll under these circumstances. I landed in the stream on my back on a big flat water covered rock and did not sustain any injury. The bike was of course on top of me. I love the non suspended steel frame of yore which are more than adequate for off road riding, with some limitations to speed.

I like that Red Line cool rig do you like it? I have a KHS Solo One same concept but in aluminum frame, I may pull the trigger on the Mono Cog!!
I really like it.
I like that Red Line cool rig do you like it? I have a KHS Solo One same concept but in aluminum frame, I may pull the trigger on the Mono Cog!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back