mountain bike chop......1st throw at custom frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, if you have seen any of my other builds, you know I leave frames alone for the most part,but back in 2004 I got a Giant mtb for free and just could see myself on it. I never got a before picture because, well it was just plain ugly! I can tell you it was a 1997ish Giant mountain bike. I cut the bottom bracket out while still assembled and then sat on it. The wheels gave it an awesome pully type stretch/lowering effect. All I had to do now was align the chainstays with the rewelded on bottom bracket which I welded on to the shortened downtube. I grabbed a piece of steel from the scrap bucket at my old job and welded it on. Pinched the chainstays to the extension and POW! i had a frame made out of 2 bikes. I still found it a bit boring so I wanted to give it a good rake. I cut a bit of an angle out of the top tube, pulled the steer tube back and rewelded. Then I took sheet metal and made the shape of the tank I wanted, welded that on then put a piece in between the left and right side to look more like a tank and not just 2 braces like the early 80s Diamondback BMX frames. I then powdercoated it flat black. I ended up selling it to a buddy due to being strapped for cash but he ended up giving it to a friend who in turn gave it to me last weekend. 7 years later, I got my frame back. Here's a shot for y'all! Not sure how I actually want to build it though. Thinking taking some blade forks and lowriding them bad boys after some heat treatment. Your thoughts? Here's the link since this site chops pics.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/R ... 1004-2.jpg
DSCF1004-2.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm looking to do a lowridin' cafe racer positioned drag bike. I got an idea I'm gonna try that I've yet to see. Just gotta find something but if I say what I'm looking for, it will give it away. Pics to hopefully come soon.

Just got some triple tree forks with clip-on bars and making into a drag bike thanks to inspiration from Burt Munro.

here she is currently. I gotta cut the fork tubes, go to a 24" set of wheels, and I got something up my sleeve I have yet to see done and can't give any hints but it's gonna be awesome. Think Burt Munro!!!
265950_249263895090536_100000207822428_1186951_6434803_o-1.jpg

munro1.jpg

I looked and didn't see that you have started a thread in this section , so I moved it for you. If I missed it and you want it moved back shoot me a PM.

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
I'm intrigued by the NOFX sticker in the background. :p
ya, grew up punk rock and just can't beat it out of me. Nothing like wrenching to some punk!

Put a unicycle wheel and crank for the back wheel.

59punk said:
Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
ya, grew up punk rock and just can't beat it out of me. Nothing like wrenching to some punk!

Or riding to some. :p

People at my old job used to ask me how I was so energetic in the mornings, despite never having been seen drinking coffee. If they only knew.
Some SoCal punk rock or NYHC is waaaaaay better than coffee, in my book. :D

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
59punk said:
Big_Daddy_Sloth said:

Or riding to some. :p

People at my old job used to ask me how I was so energetic in the mornings, despite never having been seen drinking coffee. If they only knew.
Some SoCal punk rock or NYHC is waaaaaay better than coffee, in my book. :D
that's how all my bmx videos roll!!!
http://youtu.be/Kc5JyhrFAc4

Latest posts

Back