Motorized Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gathering bits and pieces for this build for awhile now, I finally got my motor ordered.

'53 Columbia frame
Schwinn springer fork, (I think it's from the Phantom repops they did a few years ago)
new wheelset with heavy duty 12 guage spokes
Kenda white tires
funky oversize hairpin seat

The plan at this stage is to paint it red and go for a vintage Indian look. If I find the time this winter I'd like to ditch the kit tank and fab my own to fit between the top bars.

Photo_083008_002.jpg

Looks good! I got one in the works too. How hard is it to hook all that up?

dumpster_diver said:
Looks good! I got one in the works too. How hard is it to hook all that up?

I'll let you know when I get that far :lol:

It's taking a little finageling to get the engine mounted to where it clears the chain ring and still leaves room for the throttle cable and plug wire to clear the lower bar but I think I have it licked now. I'm really excited to get this thing on the road, but I'm in my busy season right now and it's hard to find more than a 1/2 hour here and there to work on it.

Hello, Looks good. I just started a thread on my MotoRat project.
Sean

if you really want that old indian look you need to replace that stock gas tank and make one to fill the frame. I'm working on a motorized project myself, I'll post it up here soon.

MaddMatt said:
if you really want that old indian look you need to replace that stock gas tank and make one to fill the frame. I'm working on a motorized project myself, I'll post it up here soon.

That's in the plan for this bike. The tank will have to wait til this winter when I actually have one whole day a week to play in the garage. First I'll get the thing up and running and all the bugs worked out, then I'll strip it down for paint and refine the look. I'm anxiuos to see what you're putting together.

Right now I'm just trying to get mine back on the road. I have a 4 stroke kit on a Phat Cycles beach cruiser. A few months ago my chain tensioner came loose and fell into the spokes destroying the back wheel. I left a 40ft skid mark from the tire locking up. I bought a special kit to build up a new back wheel with a freewheeling drive gear. Unfortunately, it's become a search for a needle in a haystack. The kit came with a 40 hole hub that accepts 12 gauge spokes. After hours and hours of online searching and a call to every bike shop in town I finally found a 40 hole rim that can accept the larger spokes. I have a buddy working out the last bit of the lacing and truing this weekend. Once it's build up I should be back on the road. I just bought a pipe bender this last week so I plan on making a boardtrack frame and moving the engine over to that down the line.

Back