Motorcycle sidecar project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So, I've been turning this idea around in my head for a while. I ride my Yamaha TW200 alot during the summer, I love the fresh air, sense of freedom and 90mpg is a nice kick too.

Rack3.jpg

Now that my 6 yr old is in preschool (now) and first grade in the fall and so on and so on... I plan on taking him to school on the bike. We rode quite a bit last summer.

on top of that, two days a week i bring my 4 yr old to day care (preschool in the fall). Cant fit 3 on the TW Seat and cargo space is limited despite my custom rear rack.

So a side car seems to be a good option. Due to the limited cc's of the TW, I cant bolt on a conventional motorcycle sidecar. I'm not putting on a vespa pea pod looking thing either.

Ideally, a light weight tube frame with a fiberglass cockpit would be optimal using a moped wheel. add in a roll hoop for safety sake, some kind of small seat maybe from a go kart and 4 pt harness.

There is not a lot of info about building a side car available online, I'll be hitting up the library soon though.

Any input with regard to personal experiences would be great.

Back