Motor kit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about building a board tracker ,since I can't afford the real thing I'm thinking motorized bike.ive seen alot of the bikes on here,they look awesome.i have a pressure washer Honda motor.or what smaller motor kits do you guys recommend? Ive heard that the kits available are pretty junky.should I just make my own? Thanks,Chris

If it's your first build, you should go for a chinese two-stroke kit, like the Grubee Skyhawk. It's great for learning how to motorize a bike and how an engine acts inside a bike frame and propels it. It won't last for decades - due to poor manufacturing quality - but it's for learning. I had to work very hard to make mine reliable (I bought 2 other engine for parts).

Please read this: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=69084

If you're looking for an engine beyond the entry level, I suggest a 4-stroke one, that's a complete other world. Can go faster, more reliable, more hassle-free, etc. BUT! If you use a 4-stroke quality engine (Honda, Morini, etc.) please build your bike with HIGH QUALITY parts! No aluminium frame, just heavy-duty steel, use rims, spokes, forks designed to withstand excessive wear (the best for you are the ones designed for downhill or trial MTB-s). I built my bikes out of tubes of delivery bicycles. Also please mind dampering the engine, and use high quality hub brakes!

Have fun!

Concur. As a first time builder, you will be riding sooner and learning faster with a kit build, like a two stroke China girl motor.
The 50cc Honda 4 strokes can be fitted to a bicycle with a kit. The larger Honda motors, like the GX 160, are not an easy
install. The GX160 will require you to solve far more problems, like gear reduction.

I'm fine with the fabrication aspects.i have built many traditional styled hot rods from scratch,as well as a full tube chassis funny car chassis.i just don't have the experience with available power trains.are the vintage schwinn cruiser frames strong enough? I don't think they are welded ,but brazed.any problems with the 4strokes hurting these frames? Its not beyond me to make a frame from scratch,but I'd like the rake and trail to be correct if I'm going 40 + mph.do these bikes handle good out the box or do they require head tube mods to get them right? I already have a 1952 straight bar schwinn I can use,but I'm worried about the non welded aspects,any thoughts?

Back