Moonraker Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I started. I love klunkers and I am still collecting parts for my ultimate one but this one is a fun build with the parts I have lying around. First off is a 1995 Schwinn repro cruiser which my friend gave me.
untitledshoot-5840.jpg

the bike is now stripped and Im touching up the rear end with a rattle can and some new clear coat. trying to keep whats left of the stickers. also cut the kickstand off and the mounting pieces for the chaingaurd.
untitledshoot-0230.jpg

painting some chromoly bars I got off of ebay to match the frame and fork
untitledshoot-0233.jpg

ive had this stem lying around for awhile now. it cam from an 80's Haro Freestyler
CRW_4197.jpg

its getting polished and new bolts. these are also the cranks I will use (minus one chainring) and a new leather saddle I bought cheap from work. I also found a loose ball american BB kit with a square tapered spindle so theres no need for a converter.
untitledshoot-0234.jpg

and the question is, which grips to use. I like the look of the mongooses, that i traded some beef jerky for, but they are breaking down and hard. the NOS Petty grips my dad got me are softer and will be more durable. hmmm
untitledshoot-0237.jpg

some big ole levers
untitledshoot-0238.jpg

and since this big will probably end up having 1x6 gearing an old suntour derailleur that my roommate gave me but just needs cleaned.
untitledshoot-0239.jpg

I feel like I have a good chance of finishing this build...

Ive been thinkin of a similar build myself except single speed.This is gonna be cool 8) :mrgreen:

well I got the painting done and installed the headset and bottom bracket. im interested to see how this loose-ball square taper bb will work. I also found some old mean looking DK pedals and a way sweeter derailleur then what i was going to use.
untitledshoot-0327.jpg

untitledshoot-0328.jpg

i broke down and bought some newer better cantilever brakes then what was laying around here and Im happy i did. also to match my mismatched wheels I used a paint marker and painted every spoke on the back wheel and installed an 8 speed cassette.
untitledshoot-0331.jpg

the stem turned out alright. Its a little more upright than i wanted but we will see how it works.
untitledshoot-0334.jpg

its just in need of cables, the shifter, and working out some kinks
untitledshoot-0325.jpg

i didnt have an 8 speed shifter to match the 8 speed cassette but i did have all the components for a 9 speed drivetrain so thats what shes rocking now. Everything is installed now and I rode it around for a minute or 2. a few kinks have to still be worked out due to the spacing of the 9 speed and a cruiser frame but its solid. Nothing says shifts like a dream like an ultegra derailleur and a new chain.

Hopefully I can get some daylight to go take amazing pictures of it soon. In the meantime I will commute on it.
Im Pumped!

Awesome build, those bars and that stem are what's up, I want them! They go perfect with the Maxxis tires, Sccchwwwweeet. 8)

This is probably the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden and the best functioning. However its a newer bicycle and I have an attachment to the old ones so V2 is will be starting.

I took the rig to the local mtb trails and the brakes didnt do it for me so I found a nice high end set of V-brakes like these. The best Shimano brakes they made before disk. Unfortunately the big ole levers I have were meant for cantilever brakes and wont work so im still on the lookout for some.
Picture9.png

As far as V2 im going to use a prewar Huffman built Belknap. I will have to add brake mounts to the frame.
Picture2-1.png

And what just arrived to the door is a 26in 70's style BMX fork with brake mounts
Picture8.png

Back