Moon Discs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea where you could find something similar to the Mooneyes Moon Discs for less Money?

I know I saw some somewhere recently online but can't for the life of me remember where!

Any info would be awesome, I am finnishing a board tracker and want to put discs on it! I really dont want to have to spend $300 though! Although they would be awesome!

theres a guy locally that spins aluminum sheets into mixing bowls, i dont know the materials cost but im sure somebody with a spinning set-up could make some pretty easily.

there's a shop in germany that sells them like the old bmx discs, only for 24 and 26". i'll post a link in a second.

ok here's where i was looking for the same thing

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15990

last time i checked the exchange rate and shipping they were about $80. sooner or later i mean to get a pair myself. really wish someone here would start selling them 'cause most of that cost is shipping.

I saw an article on making your own disks from fabric. Lycra, stretched, pour fiber glass resin and paint. 10 bucks a wheel.
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/mo ... build.html

The discs on a bike
twintrikesLRZ.jpg

As much as $300 bucks for some bling breaks the bank bigtime for most of us here,me included, anything else is not going to make a statement like those do. Maybe start flippin some bikes to finance them. Compared to the racing bike discs they are cheap. I told my local bike shop about the moons and they couldn't believe how cheap the were. Something to think about.

matt who used to be the mechanic at chopperdome did this using cheaper stock 19" moto discs (i think that was the size) he modified to fit.

the cost is in the tooling and setup to make the bike disc which they do probably like once a year to just make afew (no demand).

me and rhalf from chopperdome stopped at Moon on our way to Vegas, got in the back and were shown shown some discs bein fabbed.

http://choppernewsnetwork.fickser.nl/in ... uttonID=32

what about fabing out of the palstic round snow disk, heck I remember way back when you could get aluimin disc for the snow days , live in Houston now, getting ready for another cold snap , may a inch of snow in the morning ;-) got me thinkin

kinks said:
what about fabing out of the palstic round snow disk, heck I remember way back when you could get aluimin disc for the snow days , live in Houston now, getting ready for another cold snap , may a inch of snow in the morning ;-) got me thinkin

Extra-large stainless pizza tins, maybe?

Dont look at the disc's costing $300 but only $75 a piece..... its all in the mind :shock:

mine were on the doorstep when i got home tonight. they were the last major piece i need for my 'hood cruiser so once it warms up i'll try to finish it. i'm getting some other ideas too so i may try to get a few more later.

not having much luck with mine so far, but part of that i think is because i didn't put it on a regular coaster brake wheel. i have it on a five speed with a drum brake so i had to cut the center hole of one larger to fit over the drum, and one side doesn't quite fit the dish of the derailleur side. they don't lay flat and make the wheel look really warped

i think they'll still work for me though, just needs more tweeking.

"So the discs dont cover the entire rim then?"

- They cover the entire rim.

pain in .... to inflate tyres

but at $300 am loathe to drill holes :)

mooneyes_04.jpg

here's the one i'm using

Picture104-1.jpg

i'm not as happy as i want to be with it, but satisfied enough to work with it for now. part of it is my fault, they're not meant for what i'm using them for i think. plus my wheel is a little warped (which i made worse trying to fix). i kept the chain guard to protect the disc, but if i redo it i'll look for a black or red one. i figured trying to paint the chrome would look worse.

but i've been after this part for this bike for a long while (part of why i joined here. i was looking for discs), so i'll run with it. i'm glad i didn't pay the double i would have if i got the german ones.

Back