Montgomery Ward Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I picked this up. I know nothing about it. My oldest bike before yesterday was a real pretty Raleigh Sports, late 50s, majorly different animal.

Any info would be appricated.
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Ill add more pics in a few hours, just wanna get the conversation started!

With my itty bitty budget, and giant pile of well-loved 80s and 90s parts, it will not recieve anything even close to a proper "restoration" in my care. For this reason, if anyone has any real interest in this specific bike, I'd consider taking an offer or trade on it.

Well, It was a delicate ride, the brakes are very soft, tube condition unknown, sidewalls split. I really appricated those big honkin bars on the ice though. If I can gey the seat post flipped and raised, fix the angle of the dangle of the bars, Ill be in business. Wheels seemed pretty round now that Im thinking of it. My dad has the good chain lube, so i did it at his shop, I made him ride it too. He hops on, and says "woah, its in 4th gear! " it is a pretty dry ride, but I'm super stoked. What a treat. 80 years old, and Ive only had it for 24 hrs.

I made my madien voyage over to the cabe.

1935 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne Moto Bike. Dont believe it ever had a tank, designed by a mr schwinn I think? Made by cwc perhaps? Built in the first year or two of balloon tires.
upload_-1.jpg

Should be hp Snyder built because the seat post bolt is through the down tube. On the bb around the serial number there should be an eh and number on mine there is an eh14 that means its a 41.

I have a 34 hawthorne motobike and yes they did come with a tool box tank as an option and it had a hawthorne flyer decal on the tank. In the mid 30s Snyder built hawthornes rollfast and from I believe 1934-1938 they built the excelsior. Rollfast and hawthornes were universal. headbadge holes were both 1 7/8 horizontal. You got a kool bike. Most of it is there. if you ever go on the cabe look up my buddy his screen name is robertriley I bought my 34 off him but he's got pics of his 34 hawthorne with tank it's gorgeous.

Back