Monterey Bruiser - board tracker build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first official RRB build. A 90's murray monterey that i picked up for $10 bucks. I hated the way it looked but felt this bearing rusted, poorly braking pile of metal deserved a better life then its current state. I've always liked the board tracker look so i decided to strip it down and begin the make-over.

when i first got it.
DSC09655.jpg

frame stripped
DSCN1787.jpg

i decided to ditch the current 26" wheels and save them for the next build while collecting a bin of new parts
going with a new 24" wheel set with some new 24x3 thick bricks.
DSCN1789.jpg

DSCN1788.jpg

tractor light will also be added with a nice LED mod
DSCN1791.jpg

DSCN1790.jpg

and of course i wanted to do something to make this bike stand out sooooo... on with the 65t sprocket
DSCN1792.jpg

i hated the stem that came with the bike so i decided to pick up something a little fancier and streamline that i had to modify to fit my current fork (which ill be changing later on to a CWC when i can pick one up). handle bars are the ones it came with so i cut them up to make then look a little cooler. they are rusted to heck so i didnt care much for them. they are probably going to be temp anyways.
DSCN1793.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

and here are some mock up pics
DSCN1795.jpg

DSCN1796.jpg

i have an idea about color... some black and some grey... i still need to figure out my seat situation but im not worrying about it too much right now. i have plans for a layback seat post and maybe a nice simple raty pan or some old school personal/troxel seat.

I like where this is going! Let me guess you got that chainring off a Schwinn exerciser.

Keep it up.

I love those exerciser charinrings!

thanks guys!!!

yeah that sprocket is the 65t one off a schwinn exercise bike... and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD was it a PITA to get it to fit on the frame with out hitting the back section leading up to the rear tire. I had to notch the frame with a roller and hammer slowly to get the clearance i needed to get it work. lol it was well worth it though.

wow that natural frame and the Bricks to cool . I wish I could get myself to spring on those tires and wheel size on my present build. That is BA

That's gonna be a beast to pedal. I'd at least sub out that 18t cog for a 21 or 22t cog available online.

i thought about that before but honestly i really wana try it first hand the pedal feel i get. in a way i dont mind because i could really use the heavy pedal exercise haha. im hoping to have some heman calves again like i did 15 years ago in a few weeks lol

so a little update. after mulling it over on what color to paint the bike.... for now i've decided im going to leave the body in raw metal form as well as the front fork. im going to try and score some nicer handle bars since the ones i have are bent up pretty bad and really are just for mock up purposes. for some reason in raw metal form this bike just looks meaner, which is growing on me :)

what do you guys think?

Woah.... hope you're on flat land! I had a fixie set up with a 53t chainring and a 15t in back. It could haul - downhill or flatland, but it was not ideal hills! Quite the transformation from your origin!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Back