MonStar Rat bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a BUILD thread since my intro was beginning to take shape of one any way.

I picked up this Frankenstein rat bike as a semi operational project.

I added a new seat, classic grips, and widened the rear fork to fit the 24"x3.00" fat tire. I also rake'd out the front springer fork thanks to some suggestions from this forum. I really dig the longer lower look of the bike.

3669343943_8155750246.jpg

This week I will replace the front wheel and tire. Also, tonight I will begin making a custom wooden tank for the frame. I made a template and will cut it out tonight. I will post pictures later as that progresses.

Re: MonStar Rat bike (first time builder)

MonStar said:
I really dig the longer lower look of the bike.

Not only that.. I always thought this set up is as it suposed to be. It just looks more natural, and waaaaay better.
I do prefer the frontwheel/tire combination over the backwheel/tire though...

Good luck with the build.

herr_rudolf said:
Not only that.. I always thought this set up is as it suposed to be. It just looks more natural, and waaaaay better.

I agree. Off to a good start.

Can't go wrong with a nice white wall, have you thought about paint combos yet?

Here is a quick pic of the tank template and design. I hope to find a coaster hub this weekend and will probably go all whitewalls or just have them handy for quick switching to mix up the look.

3675162313_91624f2bf1.jpg

A garage sale by my house had a sweet 26" red vintage schwinn, it had everything but the tank. I am going to try to stop by after work and see if they still have it. It would solve my whole coaster brake problem and score me a pair of nice whitewalls

Looks like it has a lot of potential. What year Schwinn is it?

i really like all the different colors tossed together. it is something i try to do from time to time with my bikes but they never end up that way and end up color coordinated :oops:

karfer67 said:
i really like all the different colors tossed together. it is something i try to do from time to time with my bikes but they never end up that way and end up color coordinated :oops:

For now i'm keeping it as much of a junkyard rat as possible. After July 11th (tour de Fat in chicago) I will probably tear it apart and paint the frame and go with a military theme for the bike. I've always liked the FELT M.P.

I finally picked up a new rear wheel with a coaster brake hub. It will take some getting used to since i've gotten so used to riding my road bike over the past couple of years. I also installed my homemade wooden whale tank. It still needs a few more finishing touches like painting the inside of the mouth black. After the tour de Fat in Chicago next weekend I think I will throw on matching 26" whitewalls.

3685600716_0b562e4af1.jpg

3685409829_9a1f873832.jpg

Back